Will Siamese Algae eater eat java moss?

Jim Ng

HI guys,

Just bought 5 SAE from my LFS to fix my algae problem.

However, I have read from a few sources that SAE have a taste bud for moss, especially Java moss. Can someone verify if it is true? I just DIY a moss wall 90 cm by 45 cm, filled with Java moss. I do not want it to be bald...

Anyone?

sophi

I can't verify it, but I will tell you that's the reason I didn't end up buying a few was because I had a lot of fine-leafed plants in my tank that they could have destroyed. Every fish is different though, so yours might not necessarily even touch the plants.

And also, to really crack down on that algae problem, you need to find what the imbalance is. How long are you leaving the lights on? What's the strength of the lighting? Do you dose ferts? Are you using CO2?

I'm assuming you're dealing with something like BBA or staghorn since SAE's take care of those really well. Both of these are caused by a fluctuations in CO2 and extra nutrients. I just got rid of about 90% of my staghorn and BBA outbreak by just controlling the lights and everything I dose, so I didn't have to depend on the SAE after all. They will definitely help control it, but you generally want to find what's causing it first.

Ziabis

When I had them, I never saw my SAE ever touch or eat any of my java moss.

Jim Ng

Well, lucky for me, 1 out of the 5 SAE is attacking my moss =) algae in tank is 99% gone thanks to my entire algae clean up crew, ( 5 x SAE,4 x golden algae eater, 1 x Otto, 4 x Nerite snails and plenty of shrimps) and still maintaining my lighting schedule ow

adive

Keep a watch on the GAE. I don't know if SAEs are similar. GAEs can get nasty as they get bigger. Mine grew very fast in 3 months and has started attacking my gourami. I've read a number of bad posts about CAEs - people getting frustrated with them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquarist
Replies
Views
SFGiantsGuy
Replies
Views
Janice1979
Replies
Views