Will "river rock" change my water parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
I recently ordered some java fern and java moss on the internet. It should be coming shortly and I am going to have to anchor it in the tank somehow. Two questions then I guess. Can I use "river rock" from my local lfs to do this? They are smooth, round rocks. Also will these rocks change the parameters of my water such as pH or hardness or anything like that? Thanks.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You mean, they're cobbles? I have cobbles (smooth round stones) in my tank that I have collected from a river. They did not change my water's pH. They're completely inert. I think to check if a rock is safe for your tank, you pour a few drops of vinegar (I think) on a rock and if it "fizzles" (or bubbles) then the rock is not safe. Someone told me that here on Fish Lore. But wait until someone can confirm that for you. Besides, if it's a rock in a fish store, doesn't it have any label on it saying if it's safe for freshwater aquaria? Doesn't anybody in that store know?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You will need to use more than a few drops...the bubbles are hard to see...use like a spoonful. And make sure to thoroughly wash it off before putting that rock in the tank.

Caitlin Rose

Reaction score
thanks!

Nice tip (the vinegar thing), I always collect stuff like I like but am nervous about putting it in my tank. Good to know there is a simple DIY test to find out! Speaking of altering pH... are there any safe rocks that lower pH??

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, as far as I know rocks will either raise or not change your pH. But i wouldn't worry about changing it...fish are better off adapting to your water than having to deal with a changing pH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom