Will Rainbow Shark Bother Albino Cory Catfish?

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
NavigatorBlack said:
That's bad advice of the week. If the rainbow shark dies a few days after you get it, no. If it lives,it will get more and more territorial as it ages. If you are lucky, it will only bother the Corys. It can also kill them.

This thread should be picked up in a pair of tweezers and preserved in a bottle of alcohol. It is worth keeping.

That one's true.
Why so negative?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It depends solely on the fish itself, some fish are more aggressive other less so than what their standard personality is stated to be. That stated a rainbow/red tailed/etc. shark has no business in a small tank because of their needs - you wouldn't keep a mastiff in a kennel/cage its whole life would you? It is just a wrong to improperly house fish, they need care just like any other animal and chain stores will not state what the fish needs because they are trying to sell fish.
A rainbow shark in a 20, if it even gets to reach half its potential size, will terrorize the tank because it doesn't have the territory it needs so will take it out on other fish in the tank - even non-bottom dwellers, it may even go after top dwelling fish like guppies.
This hobby can be a joy, if you take the time to enjoy it and learn about the fish. Fish in their natural habit are a sight to see, it is our job as owners to try and make them happy and replicate this so they are the best they can be.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aqua Hands said:
Why so negative?
We're not being negative. We're being factual and accurate in our assessment of what can and most likely will happen, based on years of experience with keeping fish in appropriate housing.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In addition to what the others have been saying about responsible pet/fish keeping, I don’t think you’d want to continually spend money on “replacing fish” if they died; one of the best parts of the hobby is creating an environment for your fish to do well and watch them age, interact, behave, etc!

Although many of us strongly do not recommend a “shark” for a 20 gallon, there are plenty of options available (depending on what you have currently stocked) that may picque your interest if you are willing to be open to them that would be much more suitable

MGKofARMR4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fish345 said:
if it dies it dies
i will just buy new one
Fish345 said:
if it dies it dies
i will just buy new one
Fish345 said:
if it dies it dies
i will just buy new one
I would do that and ignore every old fish keeper who needs to move on and grow up, And i'm not going to use the "what if your were that rainbow shark" thing, But it is animal abuse, And very painful for the shark, And i don't think you should treat them as decorations, Good attitude, But you should act on caring, And yes i did abuse my fish because i sacraficed and killed 53 baby fish just to clean my tank, But i did actually think, I'm same as you because i do love my albino cory catfish too and i did get sad when one died from red blotch disease, But you should care for the shark too.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
New thread started since the OP is asking a more specific question. Seems to be a lot of attitude in this thread.
Here's the link:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom