Will Rabbit Snails Breed with their own children?

Alana

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I recently had my Rabbit Snail give birth (which was a big surprise because I've had her for several weeks past a rabbit snail's gestation period and I only have one, I have no idea how this happened??)

I was wondering whether I should keep them in separate tanks once the baby matures, as I'd rather not have more rabbit snails, or whether they'd recognize each other as parent and offspring and not breed? Right now I'm leaning toward separating them to be safe.

superbutterfly12

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They appear to stay fertilized for a long time. My female has had three babies over the past 3 or 4 months. The two surviving ones are still super small 1cm or less, ask your lfs how big they need to be to sell for store credit and take them in for a small amount of store credit. They only have 1 a month or so so they are very slow reproducing. I've not seen the babies interact with the mother.

I did take a male mystery snail away from them as he kept trying to mate with the adult female. Showed no interest in the babies though I don't think they are sexually mature yet?

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rabbits can store the sperm from previous matings ( from the store, etc )

Yes they DO breed with their children/ siblings, etc

Since they are slow breeders and only have 1 live birth, you won't get overrun with them.

OP
Alana

Alana

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay, so my rabbit snail could continue to get itself pregnant for the next several months? I could end up with five or six of them then, or more? Yeah, I'll have to get store credit for a few.
So I should separate the baby as soon as it's mature then.

Thanks for the replies!

New Threads