Will putting more filter media in my filter slow down water flow too much?

1. Jowenbra Member Member

I just got some kuhlis and have already found 2 in the filter (they're fine btw), so I need to block off the water exit. It's a hob filter and what I've done is got a big strip of filter media, cut it to size and put it over the rest of the contents. Here's a picture: http://imgur.com/jmqYARk
    Will it slow down water flow too significantly? The water exiting seems a little less forceful.
    A guy on reddit also said he flooded his floors doing this... Can anyone confirm that that will happen?

2. Sand Member Member

On my aquaclear if water backs up to much it gets mighty close to the edge and overflowing.

If you do that make sure to watch when the filters get dirty and more water starts getting backed up in the compartment area.

3. Jowenbra Member Member

Alright what about water flow?

4. Sand Member Member

If my flow has ever been to slow i always add a powerhead to make up the difference.

Never had any problems with flow if so by a little powerhead. I just bought one on ebay for 12 and it came with 2 sponge filters.

If you want link ill share it.

5. Jowenbra Member Member

Alright thanks. I'll probably buy some pantyhose and use that instead though

6. tedisabum Member Member

U should put that mechanical media at the bottom. Filter floss in the middle and bio media on top. This will reduce particles from contaminating the media and making it less efficient.