Will Prevent Ich Kill Beneficial Bacteria?

MrFishkeeper1

I'm trying to find a good medicine group to use in prevention for my fish and was wondering if Prevent Ich is safe for beneficial bacteria because I can't seem to find anything that says it isn't but I also can't find if it is safe either. It says it prevents the infections of single celled organisms on your fish but I don't know if it would harm the beneficial bacteria?? Does anyone have experience with it and did it effect their cycle/cause an ammonia spike? (If anyone is wondering I'm so far planning on using supratect, fritz aquarium salt , Kordon fish protector and possibly Kordon prevent ich).

Patman0519

I'm trying to find a good medicine group to use in prevention for my fish and was wondering if Prevent Ich is safe for beneficial bacteria because I can't seem to find anything that says it isn't but I also can't find if it is safe either. It says it prevents the infections of single celled organisms on your fish but I don't know if it would harm the beneficial bacteria?? Does anyone have experience with it and did it effect their cycle/cause an ammonia spike? (If anyone is wondering I'm so far planning on using supratect, fritz aquarium salt , Kordon fish protector and possibly Kordon prevent ich).
For what though? Medication in my opinion should not be used as a daily preventative.
If the fish are healthy and the tank is proper their is no need to fix something that is not broken.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I agree with Patman0519 I think medications should be used as a last resort and only if we have a pretty firm diagnosis first. If we add them just in case I feel if the time comes to where we actually need it it will be less effective.

In my humble opinion fresh clean water is the best preventive medication we can give our water pets. Commit to changing out half the water every week and chances are strong that medications will never be needed.

Upvote 0

MrFishkeeper1

For what though? Medication in my opinion should not be used as a daily preventative.
If the fish are healthy and the tank is proper their is no need to fix something that is not broken.
I would use it in a quarantine tank, I'm trying to use plant based medicine to make it less stressful on the fish yet make sure they are free from all problems. I would like to use supratect to kill anything that's possibly harming the fish in quarantine and use salt to boost the immune system and make parasites, fungus, and bacteria weaker, then I was planning on using the kordon fish protector to make a stronger slime coat on the fish and heal wounds, cuts, and bruises, the prevent ich would be used to make it harder for single celled organisms to live on the fish and that's why I was wondering if it was safe for the beneficial bacteria because I don't know if the prevent ich would harm them. I would dose them only once so it would be somewhat stressful to fish however it would then be countered by the good meds I added. So it it would be much more preventive to do this so that I only have to do it once and it should fix all the problems if there were any and if there weren't the fish still got some benefit from it

Upvote 0

pagoda

The problem with having a premedicated QT aquarium is that you might never need it for that specific ailment.

Having a fully cycled QT aquarium is a very good idea...but leave it as just water. Most ailments will cure themselves with good water quality. Medications are fast becoming the first resort and that is wrong on so many levels, not least that it is making basic ailments immune to those treatments and it causes potential mismedication of fish which in turn causes fish unnecessary stress having to be treated with things it didn't need. Add on to that its expensive and wasteful.

Basic good husbandy of clean, fresh, water, weekly water changes of at least 50%...good filtration...good food....not too much lighting....all these things are far more healthy than reaching for the medicine bottle at every sneeze. Bombarding a fish with the contents of a medicine cabinet causes way more harm than good.

So have your QT aquarium on standby, fully cycle it and that is all you need.....you do not need to use medication as a preventative measure on a "just incase" measure or as a first step as treatment.

Upvote 0

MacZ

The others said it, best preventive measure is good conditions, little stress and a good diet. If you want to do something truly preventive: Regular addition of IALs and alder cones for softwater species(e.g. tetras or corydoras), salt for hardwater species (livebearers, Rift Lake cichlids). Both is removed with waterchanges over time, so "redosing" is no problem. The preventive effect is a generally healthier fish with an active immune system. But: Never use it at the same time. It can lead to overirritation and softwater fish can be very sensitive to salt.
Best thing about it: You can get all this for less than all the stuff Corey and others want to sell. If you got the right supplier IALs and alder cones are dirt cheap, depending on where you live, leaf litter is found for free outside every autmn. Oak or beech works just as good as IALs. Just salt without additives is also cheaper when you get it at the grocery store.

Actual preemptive (not preventive) medication is a thing wholesalers and retailers do to maximize profit as every fish that makes it to be sold is a win for them. The whole host of problems that follows suit is not their problem: Weak/dysfunctional immunesystems, multiresistant parasites and pathogens, superspecialized bacteria that can whipe out a certain species in a tank but show no effect on others...

Quarantine is often misinterpreted from the get-go. It means just observation. Treatments should only follow detection. Spare the fish as much contact with meds as possible.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
40 Gallon Tank Ich Cured!
Replies
Views
tapwater
Replies
Views
Blissfullybetta
Replies
Views