10 Gallon Tank Will Platy fry affect bio load?

My Betta Moonstone

Hi,

One of my platies just gave birth to some fry today! I'm not sure which one it was, as none of them have ever looked pregnant. I saw gravid spots on the two females, which I've heard is normal even if they aren't pregnant, but the abdomen did not change. I'm keeping the fry in the tank with Hornwort and Java Moss for cover.

Once I can tell their genders (which I've heard will be about 4 months?) I plan on giving most of them away. Until then, I was wondering if I need to create a separate tank for the fish since the tank they are in is only 10 gallons. About how many four month old platy fry will be able to stay in a planted 10 gallon tank with 3 adult platies?

Also, this is my first time keeping fish fry so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

BigManAquatics

Might be best to seperate if you want survivors anyway. How many have you found?

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

Do you already have the separate tank? If so you can move them as soon as you want.
If not I suppose it depends on how many fry survive to 4 months.
There may be hiding spots but there's still a chance they could get eaten.

As tiny fry, no they won't really affect the bioload but you still have to keep the water pristine for them. As they grow I think aggression and breeding attempts would be your biggest problem.

Upvote 0

My Betta Moonstone

Thanks for the quick replies! It's hard to count them since they're so small and they keep moving. But I'd say there are about 5-10.

I plan on keeping the fry in the tank as long as they don't affect the bioload and the water levels are fine. AqAdvisor says that 5 platies is the maximum for a 10 gallon tank. So if more than two don't get eaten, we have another ten gallon I could clean and set up. Does AqAdvisor sound right, or would I be able to keep more than two 4 month old platies (in addition to the three adults)? Also, at about what point do they start breeding?

I've turned the tank filter off because I don't want the fry to get sucked in. Would the platies be okay without the filter for two weeks? They have Hornwort, but I don't know if that will provide enough Oxygen. They are starting to breathe at the surface a little.

Thank you and I'm sorry for all the questions!

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

They can start breeding as young as 4 months. Livebearers are crazy breeders

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• tasnim
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Princethepurplebetta
  • GoldfishNatalie
  • Platy