Will plants survive in non cycled water?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Landozer18, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

Pretty simple I tore down an entire tank basically and almost started from scratch and forgot to ask will live plants die if the water isnt cycled?

2. pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

Nope not at all, I kept plants happy and alive in 5gal buckets for over 3 months with water and fertilizer addition twice a week. There was no cycling involved in the water.

3. EthanWell Known MemberMember

They will be fine

4. cichlidmacWell Known MemberMember

Depends,what type of plants are they? Some crypts melt when moved and don't always recover in an un-established tank.

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I always add plants when I set up a tank. But then I use slow growing plants :)
    Fast growing plants or those needing lots of nutrients might not make it.
    Carol

6. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Plants are not dependent on a tank's cycle.

7. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

most should be fine a few "melt" but they grow back (at least for me they did )

8. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

While it is true that plants do not care if a tank is cycled or not, the cycling process does not cycle the water itself. The bacteria is not floating around in the water.

So long as a plant's basic needs are met they can survive in any environment. High light plants will still require high light; subtropical plants will still require lower temps.

9. Landozer18Well Known MemberMember

thanks all!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice