Will plants provide enough oxygen?

Gherkin

I have plants in my aquarium and I’m wondering if the airstone needs to be on in the day whilst the plants are photosynthesising?

BigManAquatics

I think it would be best. Can't explain all fancy scientific-y and try to show off how big my brain is, just feel like it would be best!

PlantedCommunityTank132

Bwood22

Regardless of plants, you want to keep the surface of the water moving or else proper gas exchange cannot take place and your water becomes stagnant. If your filter does a good enough job then you might not need an airstone.

Revan

I just use a HOB filter, works fine.

Tigerburp

It also depends one what fish you have,bettas for example don’t need a whole lot of water oxygenation

Gherkin

Hi thanks for your comments.

I have Danios and white minnows. I have three moss balls and a large mass of moss (a tropicana moss, can’t remember the name) and two Limnophila sessiliflora.

in my filter I have a normal sponge and then a carbon sponge.

Mudminnow

If your tank is tall and skinny, with relatively little surface area per unit volume, an air stone is probably a good idea.

If your tank is short and wide, with a relatively large surface area per unit volume, an air stone is probably not as important.

Now, you don't necessarily need and air stone to provide current and surface agitation. You can get that using filters and powerheads too. But, it's best not to completely rely on your plants for your tank's oxygen needs. Plus, providing surface agitation and flow have other benefits as well.

Besides, White Clouds and most danios come from cooler moving water with higher oxygen content. They'll appreciate more oxygen and more flow.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views
BlackOsprey
  • Question
Replies
Views
Darthmoli
Replies