Will plant ferts hurt ghost shrimp?

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by Novemayune, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Novemayune

NovemayuneValued MemberMember

I am wanting to start ferts for my plants to help them do their planty thing, but I don't want to hurt my ghosties - they are so fun and active! Is it okay to fertilize my plants with them in the tank? Is there one that would be better to use than another?

2. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I have 20 or 30 in a tank I use Flourish comp and API leafzone in and I haven't noticed any ill effects, here's a picture of one, seems happy to me!
    [​IMG]

3. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Agreed, dose per directions and it shoudn't hurt anything.

4. brodylane1122

brodylane1122Well Known MemberMember

Yes, I use Leaf Zone and have had no issues. Just stay away from copper ingredients and you should be fine.

5. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Copper is fine in trace amounts, most micromixes have copper in them. Inverts actually need trace levels of it.

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Some people have had problems with liquid CO2 supplements (like Excel and CO2 Booster) and shrimp, but I double-dosed for quite awhile and my ghosties were fine.

7. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

8. brodylane1122

brodylane1122Well Known MemberMember

Yes, agreed.

9. Bumblebat

BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

Flourish comprehensive is great. Just be careful of the dosage. Leaf Zone obliterated all of my shrimp. I was only able to save two and they were sick for days.

10. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

NovemayuneValued MemberMember

Thanks for the response! And he certainly does look happy :)

ETA: He meaning the shrimp in your pic, Matt B.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice