Help Will Pimafix Or Melafix Harm Beneficial Bacteria?

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello everyone,

I have a friend who I am posting this for as I don't have the answers for her. She has a split 20 gallon with 2 bettas inside. They have been in the tank for 3 weeks, and she cycled her tank for 2 weeks prior, using TopFin Beneficial Bacteria. She has her water tested regularly at Petsmart or Petco, but does not have a testing kit of her own yet. She says that they say her water parameters are fine, but it seems like her tank should still be cycling in my opinion, and that's what is causing the finrot. I know the strips that the store uses aren't the best, but they tell her her water is fine. She has done weekly water changes since the fish have been in.

Now to my question. She just got Melafix and Pimafix at the pet store and is using both of those in the 20 gallon with both fish being medicated in there. I have never used either of those as everyone here has told me Kanaplex and Furan-2 are the best for finrot, so I have zero experience to help with this. I think Melafix is safe for plants and beneficial bacteria because it's the Tea Tree stuff, but is Pimafix safe for everything? She has live plants, and I of course don't want her to kill her beneficial bacteria, making things worse, so wanted to find out about these 2 medications and get the details from the experts. I'm still trying to figure out what is causing the finrot. I do not have any pictures as of right now. ny assistance, advice, and input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@Crimson_687 Thank you for your input. So, do you believe they will help with the finrot, it seems like it just started. I'm glad they won't harm the plants or beneficial bacteria. If you don't think these will help with the finrot, should she complete this current cycle of medication first and then move on to something else if there's no improvement or try something else now?

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
@Crimson_687 Thank you for your input. So, do you believe they will help with the finrot, it seems like it just started. I'm glad they won't harm the plants or beneficial bacteria. If you don't think these will help with the finrot, should she complete this current cycle of medication first and then move on to something else if there's no improvement or try something else now?
I’ve never actually had finrot, but from my experience with other bacterial infections, you’re better off treating it with stronger medication before it gets worse. The fixes may help, and if the infection is weak enough the combination of the fixes and the fish’s immune system may actually be enough to treat it, but if it isn’t you won’t know until the infection has already worsened

Keep in mind that some stronger medicine may damage beneficial bacteria and plants

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If her fish have fin rot, the best thing she can do is change water frequently, as like you said the tank is likely still cycling. She really needs to invest in a test kit, as the money she spent on the meds could have been better applied to the kit to know what is going on with the water. If after copious amounts of water changes the fish don't look better I'm sure someone could help with an appropriate medication, but good clean water never hurt anyone.

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Primafix and Melafix might be fine for the bb, but they are very dangerous for bettas!!!! You never want to use them both at the same time, and even the slightest bit too much can suffocate them!

This is thepost on here about them, it explains everything far better than I could. You and your friend should both read it carefully! Update Regarding Labyrinth Fish and Melafix

Beyond that, it can help with tears and injuries, but is rarely worth the risk.

EDIT: and, of course, water changes will be a far less risky solution to any minor problems. Homemade Betta Spa, or IAL, can be better than a stress coat product as it both helps coat fish and helps reduce infections.

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you everyone for your valued input, I really appreciate it. She is using Indian Almond leaves and has had those in there with the Bettas since the beginning. She also boiled some and made a version of the Betta Spa for the tank. Though not as strong I believe. @aoiumi, what is the IAL that you referred to? I'm not familiar with that abbreviation. I will pass along the information about the Melafix, I had no idea that is was harmful to Bettas! How should she remove it from the tank? A really large water change?

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you everyone for your valued input, I really appreciate it. She is using Indian Almond leaves and has had those in there with the Bettas since the beginning. She also boiled some and made a version of the Betta Spa for the tank. Though not as strong I believe. @aoiumi, what is the IAL that you referred to? I'm not familiar with that abbreviation. I will pass along the information about the Melafix, I had no idea that is was harmful to Bettas! How should she remove it from the tank? A really large water change?
The big problem comes with overdoses, and as far as removing it goes, she probably would just want to keep up with water changes every few days. @Salem, do you know how often and how much she should change?

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Assuming she has a hob filter she should be able to add a charcoal insert into it which will help suck out the medication. I would personally do a 50% water change along with the addition of the charcoal. If she has a sponge filter she can't really add charcoal though- so I would suggest 25% water changes every day for about a week. She could do a bigger one but I find smaller changes a lot less stressful on the fish. My normal water changes are usually 25% a week.

My go to method of fighting finrot has always been water changes and salt baths. I do about 25% changes every other day and while I'm doing that I put the fish into a separate container filled with fresh water and aquarium salt. I only leave them in there for a max of about 10 minutes but usually just as long as it takes me to swap the water. I don't like to add it directly to the tank because it's not really good for a lot of fresh water fish if it's like a constant thing. If she decides to use salt make sure she reads and follows the instructions on the container.

I have not personally tried Kanaplex or Furan 2 but if she decides to go the medical route I would go with Kanaplex- I trust SeaChem over most other brands. I likely will be purchasing some for myself soon though as I have a betta of my own who seemingly has an indestructible case of it.

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you @Salem, she has an hob, so I will tell her about the charcoal. She took it out for the medicine, but I'll have her put it back in. She just did a 50 percent water change and the fish already seem more lively, so that's a plus. I think we are going to try a stronger version of what she's doing with the Indian Almond Leaves and go from there. Thank you so much everyone for jumping in and helping. Absolutely love this community. She would have had a huge problem with both of those medications in there it seems. Thank goodness I came on here. I can't thank you all enough. I'm sure I'll be back with the next development. Lol.

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Also, I had her pick up an API Master Kit, and she has .25-.5 Nitrites, and very low Nitrates. No ammonia. So, pretty sure the cycling is what is causing all of this. At least she can keep an eye on the numbers now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom