Will Ph Really Help.color Of Fish

1. A

Andy N kat New Member Member

i have read that if you have a high or low ph your fish won't be as healthy as say a mid range, I understand that certain fish have certain range they enjoy ,I'm at like 6.3 I think or even lower, I got it to rise once and it seemed my gouramis got more vibrant color any truth to that [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

Well, statistically fish have a PH tolerance range. If you start reaching the extremes then they're not going to be as happy. It's like humans can survive in very humid and very dry conditions although they won't necessarily enjoy them.

3. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

Some fish it can effect color, a tleast a little. Mainly because fish will dull out if stressed.

As for your PH, if you want to raise it without chemicals. You can get either cuttlebone or crushed coral. Either can be just put in the tank, and crushed coral can be put in the filter.

I have also read that a bubbler will raise the PH some. In my experience it raised mine about 0.3ish when I ran it on full 24/7, now I only run it a few an hour or 2 a day because my PH was getting near the high end for my fish.

4. AtomicMudkip

AtomicMudkip Valued Member Member

Hi there, a little off topic but I thought I'd mention it. You appear to have 2 male dwarf gouramis in the same tank. Kind of a bad idea. Although they may not be aggressive to each other right now, they will do as they grow up. I suggest you rehome 1 or move 1 into a separate tank unless you want them to fight to the death. Most people don't believe this and say 'oh but they swim peacefully together' and before they know it, they have 1 dead fish and another badly injured.
    ~Mudkipz

5. Dark Storm

Dark Storm Valued Member Member

I think they're the same fish, hence why Original poster is asking about PH.. Check your KH and GH Andy, if your PH is struggling to maintain PH, that's usually because your KH is low. I have the same problem, and have found it's probably easier to keep fish that prefer softer water

6. AtomicMudkip

They aren't the same fish, one is a Neon Dwarf gourami, the other is a Flame dwarf gourami. I realise the post was about pH, but I thought I should forewarn the user of what happens when you keep 2 males together.
    ~Mudkipz

7. OP
    OP
    A

I have 3 gouramis in there now , they are decent size I think all males not 100% sure , 2 hang together and 1 by itself, they don't have issues , been in there for a while, I'll try and lost.pics of all 3 may add 1 to my bigger tank when I get it going ty

.my hardness is super high , wasn't sure if that has anything to do with it not sure how to rise or lower it

I'll try and get a.pic of all 3 I have in there

Here are the 3 that I have , they all may be males but never fight , one does kinda stay by self , and what about angels are they the same ? I have 3 of them also
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    A

I 3 pics of them, I think they all males ,

9. AtomicMudkip

Yeah, all three of them are males. How long have they been in there together? Over a year? If not then I don't think they have matured yet. If they are matured, then you must be very lucky indeed!
    ~Mudkipz

10. OP
    OP
    A

I'd say these close to 6 months , hmm well now what ,lol I have noticed lately that 1 of them are staying away and the others hiding a lot , here is my thought, I'd like to breed them, (not together lol) but get a nice colored female and see who pairs up and move them to another tank , then when I get my 180 going I could place the others in it , would that work ? What about angels , are they that way also? They seem more peaceful, could I introduce 3 females or 2 and would they leave each other alone that way ?

11. AtomicMudkip

Well, if you were ABSOLUTELY intent on keeping all 3, then the ratio for males to females is 1:2/1:3 so you would need 6-9 females and I don't know if your tank could support that. 180 gallons or litres? Either way, separating them would work, try putting 2 in the big tank and 1 in the smaller tank so they can stake out similar sized territories, you never know, they may just leave achieve other alone! In a 180 litre, you could do a trio of angels. I've never kept them so I'm not to sure on temperament but hopefully others will chip in!
    ~Mudkipz

12. OP
    OP
    A

It is a 180 gallon it's 6 foot x 2 x 2 feet ,

13. AtomicMudkip

Ok then angels are absolutely fine in that. You could have a few more I'm guessing but I'm no expert on angels. 2 dwarfs might work in the 180 if you kept the 3rd in the smaller tank.
    ~Mudkipz

14. OP
    OP
    A

I don't have the 180 up yet what have now is a 45gallon ,,, from what I'm reading it's overstocked , but have been this way for over 15 years , I had angles last 11 years before they past ,,, her is what I have now
    3 dwarf gouramis
    2 tiger barbs
    2 cherry barbs
    2 albino copycats
    3 angels
    3 snails
    2 red eye tetras
    3 tetras
    1 skirt tetra
    1 gold fish ( started out half inch and now I'd say about 8") he will be leaving soon , it was my daughters she won at a fair thought it would die soon well no... i can't wait to get rid of him as he up roots my plants , and has ate all my shrimp I place in there

15. AtomicMudkip

Ahhh... the joys of goldfish XD yes, I believe you are a little overstocked but that is fine if you plan on moving some up to the 180 gallon. I know tetras need a larger school, so do the cherry and tiger barbs, but if they have waited 15 years, they can wait a little longer for an upgrade! Angels are very elegant and a wonderful addition to a tank. Do you have a picture of your current tank? I would love to see it!
    ~Mudkipz

16. OP
    OP
    A

Those are not as new , the fish have died.out over the last few years , could be my , ph lol wasn't sure but had many for over a decade , with my brain injury from military and ptsd its.my new relaxing hobby ,

[​IMG]

The gold fish has destroyed my plants he keeps.up rooting them

17. AtomicMudkip

Very nice tank! I don't think pH has too much of an effect on health of your fish unless they are very very sensitive. Most fish are better off adjusting to a pH than you trying to change it to suit their natural habitat, unless of course you use natural things like peat moss to lower the pH.
    ~Mudkipz

18. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks , I do have some Moss on one s3ction ,I may remover it to see if it rises , bow I have this issue some funk growing on some new rock I placed in the tanks ugh ugh [​IMG]

19. AtomicMudkip

If it's loose, try vacuuming it up during your next PWC. If that doesn't work, try scrubbing the rocks and giving them a good rinse. If it is a fungus, try medicating the tank but leave that as a last resource as meds can cause stress on your fish and sometimes be bad on your filter.
    ~Mudkipz

20. OP
    OP
    A

What's weird is it only on the new rocks I added to get a nice Black look , I washed throughly before placing in they the only thing growing