50 Gallon Tank Will pearl gourami’s work with these fish?

MacZ

I'd probably go with some type of rasbora instead of tetra, as tetras can be a bit nippy. Otherwise decide for one bottomdweller. Kuhlis need rather dense plant and leaf litter thickets, cories rather open sand and some driftwood and plants for cover. You'd be in for a challenge to make it absolutely comfortable for both species at the same time. The bigger the footprint of the tank the better.

I like the limitation in species and the numbers are also reasonable.

Upvote 0

LachlanMac12

Thank you for the response MacZ, that does help it’s just I wasn’t really clicking with the harlequin rasboras and that’s all my local store sells, so I’ll definitely look into them
And the tank will also be fully planted aswell, so who would be the better choice out of corys, ottos and loaches?

Upvote 0

MacZ

Otos are definitely not a good choice, too likely to die off quickly and bring in parasites. Read up on them, in my opinion a fish that can bring you a lot of frustration and might not live very long.
So I'd go with the loaches. Because they are the closest to what lives with the gourami in nature.

And there are more rasboras than just harlequines. Rasbora - Wikipedia The article lists a whole number of genera in the text before listing the actual Rasbora species.

Pick something you like and then find out whether they are available. Pick something that grows between 2 and 6 cm and doesn't tend to be a super fast and hectical swimmer. (Meaning Danio and Devario are rather out of the question.)

Upvote 0

wrs2

I agree with MacZ. Stay away from the Otos!
Rasbora borapetensis Is a great and hardy species if Rasbora. I’ve had them in with my Pearl Gourami and they get on great as far as I can tell.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

I'd probably go with some type of rasbora instead of tetra, as tetras can be a bit nippy. Otherwise decide for one bottomdweller. Kuhlis need rather dense plant and leaf litter thickets, cories rather open sand and some driftwood and plants for cover. You'd be in for a challenge to make it absolutely comfortable for both species at the same time. The bigger the footprint of the tank the better.

I like the limitation in species and the numbers are also reasonable.
Agreed on Rasboras over Tetra in general though as far as non nippy Tetra go, Black Phantoms are a good bet. There is very little nippy behaviour between Phantoms in a social group, males have a very.. hmmn artistic dance instead?

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I have pearl gouramis with 15 serpae tetras and 10 pristella tetras with no issues. I of course can't promise you'll have similar results, but if you get an adequate sized group of tetras I think it's likely.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

I agree with MacZ. Stay away from the Otos!
Rasbora borapetensis Is a great and hardy species if Rasbora. I’ve had them in with my Pearl Gourami and they get on great as far as I can tell.
those indeed are great fish

Upvote 0

LachlanMac12

Alright thank you all for the responses, I’ll be sure to do a little more research around my loaches, Rasboras and to stay clear of ottos

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
connorjs1004
  • Question
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views