Will Pastrami The Gourami Ever Love Me?

Platyarelife
I have a Blue-Spot Gourami and his name is Pastrami. I was under the impression that he would be a little territorial and is considered a semi-aggressive fish. How ever this is the shyest fish I have every owned. He likes to hide and he's claimed the back corner of the tank where it's dark and shadowed. Some times he hides in the caves.
He comes out into the open some times but the second I go near the tank he flees to his hidey corner. He plays nice with the Pleco and Corys and he doesn't get aggressive during feeding time. He won't even eat if I'm by the tank.
I have only had him 3 days so I know he's still adjusting to his new home but he'll get use to me right? I love my gorgeous, sweet, Pastrami and would love to see him come out in the open more.

Advertisement
Mike1995
yes he'll straighten out I have a 90g with 4 gourami. Two snakeskin gourami, a blue. And an opaline. (the latter two are basically the same, an opaline is a blue with stripes).
they all are very active and love eachothers company.
so maybe, would you be able to get another one or two gourami? Sometimes they feel better in groups.

Aureus
Love the name!

IcedColdMine
If you love Pastrami, Pastrami will love you.....

My 2 hybrid honeys let me pet them while all the other fish are scared "@@@@less" by me...........

fishychachki
Gouramis are shy little cuties when they are kept alone. Which isn't a bad thing considering some could just choose to become aggressively territorial. But once they settle, they should be doing fine. What other fish are in there with your pastrami?

TwoHedWlf
I have a Blue-Spot Gourami and his name is Pastrami.
I have only had him 3 days so I know he's still adjusting to his new home but he'll get use to me right? I love my gorgeous, sweet, Pastrami and would love to see him come out in the open more.

He'll never love you if he finds out you named him Pastrami.

But give him a few weeks. Try to make sure you're feeding around the same time every day so he gets used to your schedule, he'll start coming out.

Advertisement
Platyarelife
Gouramis are shy little cuties when they are kept alone. Which isn't a bad thing considering some could just choose to become aggressively territorial. But once they settle, they should be doing fine. What other fish are in there with your pastrami?
Right now I only have a Baby BN Pleco and 10 Green Cory's. I am slowly adding more fish, just trying to find what's compatible and not gonna pick on him or vise versa.

But give him a few weeks. Try to make sure you're feeding around the same time every day so he gets used to your schedule, he'll start coming out.
Lol, it was my boyfriend idea. He tossed it out there and we laughed about it for a few days and we decided why the heck not!

Platyarelife
Update on Pastrami : He still doesn't love me and hides when I'm near. I got him some more tank mates and he amazed me. He didn't care about the Rams at all but when I added the Rainbowfish he actually came up to them and said hello with no sign of aggression.He checked them out and decided that they are cool beans and he actual comes out of hiding more. I mean he still hides a lot but these rainbows have got him to come out of his shell a bit. One step at a time I guess.

DoubleDutch
Update on Pastrami : He still doesn't love me and hides when I'm near. I got him some more tank mates and he amazed me. He didn't care about the Rams at all but when I added the Rainbowfish he actually came up to them and said hello with no sign of aggression.He checked them out and decided that they are cool beans and he actual comes out of hiding more. I mean he still hides a lot but these rainbows have got him to come out of his shell a bit. One step at a time I guess.
Could it be cause you gave him that name hahahaha. I love it BTW.

James17
I like the name Pastrami at least you didn't name him Sushi.

IcedColdMine
You could get more pastrami! Fish have feeling too, some are shy others aren't lol.

Advertisement
Platyarelife
Could it be cause you gave him that name hahahaha. I love it BTW.
Lol! It could be. Maybe he doesn't want the other fish to bully him. Maybe that's why Echo the Pleco doesn't come out either.
I like the name Pastrami at least you didn't name him Sushi.
Hahah yeah he might have just been super angry about that.
You could get more pastrami! Fish have feeling too, some are shy others aren't lol.
I thought about getting another one but it seems if I do that he has a higher chance of becoming aggressive and more territorial. Id rather have him be shy than turn into a bully.

MaximumRide14
I love that name!

Platyarelife
I am dying to get a good picture of Pastrami! Took me forever to get a pic at all! The quality is horrible because I had to zoom all the way in. Can't get close or he hides... and every time I took my camera out he would hide even though I wasn't by the tank it's like he knew! But that is Pastrami the Gourami.

Attachments

• 20171001_234553.jpg
    20171001_234553.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 94
DoubleDutch
I am dying to get a good picture of Pastrami! Took me forever to get a pic at all! The quality is horrible because I had to zoom all the way in. Can't get close or he hides... and every time I took my camera out he would hide even though I wasn't by the tank it's like he knew! But that is Pastrami the Gourami.
The name suites him hahaha

California L33

I was about to say the same thing. Somebody names their pet after something edible then wonder why he hides from her? She may as well come to the tank with loaf of bread and jar of mustard .

Advertisement
Platyarelife
I was about to say the same thing. Somebody names their pet after something edible then wonder why he hides from her? She may as well come to the tank with loaf of bread and jar of mustard .
I ate sushI around my fish... You saying i'm a bad fish parent!

California L33
I ate sushI around my fish... You saying i'm a bad fish parent!

Only if you didn't share. (My Betta loves shrimp, which I sometimes prepare for the family despite being a vegetarian myself. The 'family' now includes one little Betta who likes his without cocktail sauce.)

Platyarelife
I think I finally found Pastrami tank mates he's comfortable with. Got 10 tiger barbs and so far he's come out and hasn't gone into hiding for about an hour! He tasted them and I guess decided they aren't tasty and would make good friends. Even Echo the Pleco has made an appearance. Rams feel more comfortable too

IcedColdMine
I think I finally found Pastrami tank mates he's comfortable with. Got 10 tiger barbs and so far he's come out and hasn't gone into hiding for about an hour! He tasted them and I guess decided they aren't tasty and would make good friends. Even Echo the Pleco has made an appearance. Rams feel more comfortable too
Would never guess tiger barbs are dither fish lol.

KingCynosure
Mmm and pickles

Platyarelife
By the way, for everyone talking about names. I named my two Rams SushI and Sashimi. Seems to fit them both well.

Mmm and pickles
Oh of course! pickles are great! That'd be a good name for a green fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Violetskies
Replies
Views
yukondog
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views