Will Parrot Cichlid be ok?

Hemikyle

Active Member
Member
Messages
243
Reaction score
32
Hello, so this might be a long story and ill try to shorten it the best I can so bare with me!

So I had one Von Rio tetra that was left of 5 due to a internal parasite in a quarantine tank, which was caused by my 3 diamond tetras going after them (i'm assuming because since we pulled the Rios out they were going after each other more now, and they never did that.) and literally eating there rear tail clean gone. The parasite was I hope gone because they were not showing anymore symptoms. But the 2 out of 3 that were left died due to stress of not being in a big group anymore ( I'm assuming) hence why I gave away the last one, He was really stressing out being alone and would have just died if he was left in there i'm sure of it. Unknowingly my lady surprised me by saying she picked up a Parrot Cichlid and placed it in the quarantine tank for our 125G Cichlid tank that is holding 3 Peacock cichlids atm! Now my question is this.

Will the Parrot Cichlid be okay? My lady told me she didn't replace the water, mechanical filter, or bio media. I just keep but wondering is it possible there might be a parasite even though the existing tetras weren't showing symptoms anymore? could still be in the water? is there any precautions I could do? I hope this guy is going to be okay. Any help will be greatly appreciated! thank you!!
 

jkkgron2

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,310
Reaction score
1,895
Experience
3 years
Hemikyle said:
Hello, so this might be a long story and ill try to shorten it the best I can so bare with me!

So I had one Von Rio tetra that was left of 5 due to a internal parasite in a quarantine tank, which was caused by my 3 diamond tetras going after them (i'm assuming because since we pulled the Rios out they were going after each other more now, and they never did that.) and literally eating there rear tail clean gone. The parasite was I hope gone because they were not showing anymore symptoms. But the 2 out of 3 that were left died due to stress of not being in a big group anymore ( I'm assuming) hence why I gave away the last one, He was really stressing out being alone and would have just died if he was left in there i'm sure of it. Unknowingly my lady surprised me by saying she picked up a Parrot Cichlid and placed it in the quarantine tank for our 125G Cichlid tank that is holding 3 Peacock cichlids atm! Now my question is this.

Will the Parrot Cichlid be okay? My lady told me she didn't replace the water, mechanical filter, or bio media. I just keep but wondering is it possible there might be a parasite even though the existing tetras weren't showing symptoms anymore? could still be in the water? is there any precautions I could do? I hope this guy is going to be okay. Any help will be greatly appreciated! thank you!!
What were the exact symptoms? If it was a parasite and if you didn’t treat it then, it’s still in the tank. I would buy API general cure and dose the tank per instructions on the package.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Active Member
Member
Messages
243
Reaction score
32
jkkgron2 said:
What were the exact symptoms? If it was a parasite and if you didn’t treat it then, it’s still in the tank. I would buy API general cure and dose the tank per instructions on the package.
Symptoms - Bloated belly, Constipation, Pop eye, problems with swimming like sinking.

All the rio tetras that were left had no signs of anymore symptoms but 2 died I believe because of stress due to less of them being together. When the last one was in the tank I could easily see how stressed out he was.

I will dose with general cure tonight to be on the safe side.
 

jkkgron2

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,310
Reaction score
1,895
Experience
3 years
Hemikyle said:
Symptoms - Bloated belly, Constipation, Pop eye, problems with swimming like sinking.

All the rio tetras that were left had no signs of anymore symptoms but 2 died I believe because of stress due to less of them being together. When the last one was in the tank I could easily see how stressed out he was.
Sounds like parasites or some sort of infection. I would use general cure as a precaution and if the parrot starts showing symptoms I would try to find a good med for treating bacterial infections. It’s possible that the parasites died with the fish but I really wouldn’t risk it, especially since it sometimes can be a bit before they show symptoms.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Active Member
Member
Messages
243
Reaction score
32
jkkgron2 said:
Sounds like parasites or some sort of infection. I would use general cure as a precaution and if the parrot starts showing symptoms I would try to find a good med for treating bacterial infections. It’s possible that the parasites died with the fish but I really wouldn’t risk it, especially since it sometimes can be a bit before they show symptoms.
okay sounds good thanks so much! ill keep you posted if anything does change! thank you again!
 

jkkgron2

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,310
Reaction score
1,895
Experience
3 years
Hemikyle said:
okay sounds good thanks so much! ill keep you posted if anything does change! thank you again!
No problem! I’m happy to help :). Oh, one last thing. Make sure to quarantine him for atleast 1-2 weeks(preferably 2-3) after medicating just to make sure all parasites or whatever killed your tetras is gone.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Active Member
Member
Messages
243
Reaction score
32
jkkgron2 said:
No problem! I’m happy to help :). Oh, one last thing. Make sure to quarantine him for atleast 1-2 weeks(preferably 2-3) after medicating just to make sure all parasites or whatever killed your tetras is gone.
will do ill keep him in there for 3 weeks on the safe side! :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Active Member
Member
Messages
243
Reaction score
32
So this happened today? Do you think he might just have fish bladder or the parasite? He does swim normally sometimes and doesn't do whats in the pictures.
 

Attachments

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Member
Messages
841
Reaction score
598
When he does what he's doing in the picture, is it after he's been startled? I've seen a lot of young parrots and even my own parrots get scared and try to "hide" up against whatever was closest to them. They're a really skittish fish.

But it's hard to interpret his actions from the picture. When he does this is he still in control of his movements or does he float around?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Active Member
Member
Messages
243
Reaction score
32
AngryRainbow said:
When he does what he's doing in the picture, is it after he's been startled? I've seen a lot of young parrots and even my own parrots get scared and try to "hide" up against whatever was closest to them. They're a really skittish fish.

But it's hard to interpret his actions from the picture. When he does this is he still in control of his movements or does he float around?
Yes he does it when he is startled exactly! And he is in control of his movements from what it seems like. Like I said i can see him swimming fine from a distance only sometimes when you go up to the tank he does that.
 

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Member
Messages
841
Reaction score
598
Then I wouldn't say this is a symptom of anything, that's just normal parrot behavior. They are very shy. If you don't already have some, they love caves so adding a few may help it be less scared.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Hemikyle

Hemikyle

Active Member
Member
Messages
243
Reaction score
32
AngryRainbow said:
Then I wouldn't say this is a symptom of anything, that's just normal parrot behavior. They are very shy. If you don't already have some, they love caves so adding a few may help it be less scared.
Yea I noticed the more time I spent by the tank he was swimming normal again no issues. Maybe I just had to give him some time yes apparently he is skittish haha. And right now he's in a 10g little small for my taste shouldni put a little cave in there for him? He's in quarantine until we move him in a big 125g with 3 peacock cichlids
 

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Member
Messages
841
Reaction score
598
If he's a little guy you should be fine quarantining in the 10 gal imo. But I would definitely still add the cave for him if you can find one that fits. It can even be some cheap terracotta plant pots. I've used those before too. Just make sure no fish can get stuck in the hole at the bottom of them
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
262
Guests online
3,814
Total visitors
4,076

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom