Will Ottocinclus Eat Krib Fry'

Plantsmaketanks

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Will ottocinclus eat krib Fry'? Waiting to see. Don't think so, don't fully know. Kept both separate though. Fry been alrite with 6 glowlights, i swaped to new, odd fry gone then. Planted. Kribs defense brilliant as well (strategy). Pair of breeding kribs, 4 ottos and 2 nerite snails. 10 gallon tank. Set- up 3 months now. Cleaned my tank clean nearly in half a day, of any brown algea i had in tank, not really unsightly, I overfeed a little due to fry. Good water change weekly. Healthy.

Seem fine been watching them, fry out an about, not as patroled, but still watched and looked out for as. 2/3 weeks old

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They will suck them up like candy. Being an herbivore does not prevent a species from taking advantage of easy protein. I watched a single 2.5 inch Oto go through most of an Apisto spawn in a friend's tank in a matter of minutes.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was wondering about that. Mine will eat flakes and granules that’s settled on the bottom. I once watched them cannibalize on the dead at a LFS. I also remember a member here, a while back, act surprised when he found his sucking on a thawed bloodworm.

Plantsmaketanks

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I drop an algae wafer in now an again, it's the parent kribs wanting too breed again that chase them off now, plenty of plant cover will move some out soon. About 8 - 10 left just short of 1/2 inch see some trying too tackle the artemia I feed 2 - 3 times a week an succeed with smaller ones. Fun too watch

Didn't think they would, I had small shoal glowlights in with kribs at first, an did see odd fry stray too near an end up free food. But kribs are so vigilant with there protection. Night time was my worry, I drop the algea wafer in dusk time for Otto's + nerite snails. Bit of a supplement. Thanks for replies pretty new too forum

They will suck them up like candy. Being an herbivore does not prevent a species from taking advantage of easy protein. I watched a single 2.5 inch Oto go through most of an Apisto spawn in a friend's tank in a matter of minutes.
Apisto gramma
Were was the paternal protection are not apistogrammas ( think spelt wrong), mouth brooders? Been away from hobby too long an a while since I worked in petstore. My books gone an don't particularly like web info, unless reputable, (p.f.k.) couldn't be bothered looking up sorry lazy, but I think they are an most bit smaller than kribs.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the Krib fry avoid predation log enough, then they may well survive.

There are a couple of Apistos that are mouthbrooders, but most are not. They are primarily cave spawners. Yes, they are a bit smaller than the kribs.

Plantsmaketanks

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the Krib fry avoid predation log enough, then they may well survive.

There are a couple of Apistos that are mouthbrooders, but most are not. They are primarily cave spawners. Yes, they are a bit smaller than the kribs.
Yeah cheers have always been interested in the cockatoo chiclids + the likes, but this is for a new thread , am I correct also in saying checker board chiclids as well? Not quite sure. Will look up as well. Just started with kribs (rock solid), with in reason.

Suppose now thinking about it, cows, sheep, etc, will in know doubt in there lifetime, have eaten countless insect's without purpose/intention also. Vegetarians, baa, joking. Please do not take offence, none intended. Have a little humour.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like a lot of catfish they aren't true herbivores but omnivores (mine love bloodworms aso). They are not equipped to hunt though. If the kribfry won't move they might get a bit of fish and chips on the menu.

Plantsmaketanks

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like a lot of catfish they aren't true herbivores but omnivores (mine love bloodworms aso). They are not equipped to hunt though. If the kribfry won't move they might get a bit of fish and chips on the menu.
Yeah me wrong , still early, I will start a new thread on the breeding of the Otto's also, I purchased some when first on scene with this intention, without fully researching. Cheers, I love artemia at mo, known as fairies/brine shrimp, soft, fluffy + plenty of nutrient/protein, although have read that adult kribs eat a fair amount of Green's/meat ratio in their diet? Pretty new to me, maybe life stages I suppose. Another thread.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If one of the krib fry are weak then the Otto may eat it. But no ottos can't even eat fry. They will suck on weak, dying fry.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If one of the krib fry are weak then the Otto may eat it. But no ottos can't even eat fry. They will suck on weak, dying fry.
I've watched a large Oto going after a free swimming school of Apisto fry, and they were not dying. As noted above, Krib fry are larger, and the parents are more aggressive, so the Oto might get chased off by Kribs. But given the opportunity, they will pursue and eat fry.

It should also be noted that a common defensive measure taken by many dwarf cichlids is for the parents to signal the fry is to run to the bottom and sit on the substrate to hide. This puts them in the perfect position for Suckermouth type catfish to eat a whole bunch at one time. I would not keep any suckermouth catfish with breeding cichlids.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom