Will Otos Eat Brown Algae?

Fruity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
God morning, everyone!

My 55 gallon is set up in my sunroom. Surprise, surprise, it grows brown algae like a champ. I don't mind wiping the glass, but it grows on the plants and decorations, too.

So far my solution has been to rotate plants and decorations between it and the snail infested 29 gallon. This is obviously not ideal and becoming a pain.

Snails are not as option in the 55 as they are eaten in approximately 2 nanoseconds by the yoyo loaches. I'm not really interested in plecos.

Will Otos keep my plants and decorations cleaned up? Will there be any issues between them, some mean serpae tetras, and my 6 yoyo loaches? If they'll work out, how many should I get?

Thanks, all!

Last edited:

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, yes they will brown & soft green algae, anything else they don’t touch, least mine don’t.

NYFishGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it's their favorite, this is 2 hours of cleaning. Maybe start with a school of 6

otobefore.jpg
oto-after.jpg

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recommend otocinclus, as they eat brown and soft green algae, and whenever my fathers flex had an outbreak of hair/green slime algae, he added amano shrimp and they picked it clean in about a week. Also, siamese algae eaters are excellent algae eaters of all types. Just a thought.

I recommend otocinclus, as they eat brown and soft green algae, and whenever my fathers flex had an outbreak of hair/green slime algae, he added amano shrimp and they picked it clean in about a week. Also, siamese algae eaters are excellent algae eaters of all types. Just a thought.
Quick Note on the Siamese; have you ever seen a fat kid choke down cotton candy? That's what the siamese looks like eatinh hair algae

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom