Will Otocinclus Catfish/dwarf Suckers Clean My Driftwood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerfish420

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ive had the famous white algea bloom on my driftwood looks like my wood has a cold and is just emanating snot. its been pretty persistent since i added the piece a few weeks ago so far no fish death and perfect water parameters ive just been taking it out and hosing it off few times this month. but i was curious if some little ottos would enjoy feasting on it i know their pretty efficient cleaners but will they go after this kind specifically? anyone else ever tried it?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It isn't algae, it's a fungus & will eventually go away by itself, Oto's won't eat it

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had mystery snails eat the fungus off my driftwood before

ETA: not sure if that's the norm tho

OP
tigerfish420

tigerfish420

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
fungus? i thought i was a white algea bloom? any kind of time frame for it to go away its rather ugly and i keep finding it in my filter intake and in the box itself.
and are their any kind of fish/shrimp that enjoy it?
maybe some snails but they seem to overpopulate the tank, or get to big or leave unsightly eggs in places.
is there a perfect snail out there?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For certain, I know honey gouramis and shrimp such as red cherry shrimp and Amanos will do the job nicely. I'm sure many other omnivorous species will eat them as well. I wouldn't be surprised if an oto will too. I own one and sometimes I see it sucking on the wood. I can't say for sure since the wood with the oto never developed any fungus (that I'm aware of).

NightShade

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yea, mysteries they will lay a light pink clutch of eggs about the size of my thumb at the top of the aquarium (if u don't leave the water line low enough, they will for sure climb out, or if there's a lid, become egg-bound), but if u only have one, you won't likely get eggs... that said, females can store sperm for like 6 months iirc, so could possibly still lay even if she's the only snail. But it is very easy to check for, & remove the egg clutches (I use a razor blade). I don't believe they get larger than a golf ball, if that... mine are slightly smaller. Just don't let that clutch hatch lol... you can get 200+ babies (haha.. trust me!!!)

Nerites can't reproduce in freshwater, but I've not kept them, so I can't say if they would eat the wood fungus/algae or not (it could be algae, I'm really not sure! Lol).. but nerites do still leave eggs all over the aquarium from what I understand, they just can't hatch.

Ramshorns, I've not kept them, so not sure if they'd eat it, but I think they can overpopulate easily, if u overfeed the tank, or have a lot of plant waste etc.

I would agree with Scarface from what I've read.. shrimps. I thought ottos would eat it, but I haven't had them yet (plan to soon tho! )

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it is white its fungus. Algae is green (or dark green resembling black or brown) due to the chlorophyll which enables it to photosynthesize i.e. synthesize the building blocks for growth e.g. cellulose.

Fungi cannot synthesize their own food, they have to feed on organic matter, usually dead organic matter as in this case.

Some fungi are able to attack living organic tissues, but not the type which is on the driftwood.

It normally disappears when all the digestible organic matter within the driftwood has been consumed.

Much of the harder parts of the driftwood is protected by lignin (the wood's natural preservative produced by the tree) which is indigestible to most fungi.

Some fungi are able to break down lignin and these specialize in rotting down dead trees. A dead tree is not able to fight off a fungal infection like a living tree would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 63 66.3%

Top Bottom