20 Gallon Tank Will one Male Guppy get lonely?

goosenewton

Hi everyone! I have a 20-gallon community tank that had two male guppies, but one recently passed (I believe he had a tumor- water params are all normal). The two males used to swim around together, they seemed to enjoy the company.

My remaining guppy is an elephant ear male, who I've had for around 8 months. I'm worried he'll get lonely/stressed without another guppy in the tank, so I'm considering adding another male or two (not really interested in getting females as I don't have the space for fry). I'm also worried a new addition might get bullied, as he will likely be smaller at first.

Anyone have any advice for adding new males? Would getting two or three new fish help to spread out any aggression? Or should I let this one be?

MyFishAddiction

I would defineintly do it. I also started with 3 guppies, and 2 died. He went 1 week without other guppies, then he started to get depressed, and swam droopy and and sluggish. I got him 2 friends, one was about 3/4 of his size. No bullyinging, he was just happy for some friends.

Upvote 0

goosenewton

I would defineintly do it. I also started with 3 guppies, and 2 died. He went 1 week without other guppies, then he started to get depressed, and swam droopy and and sluggish. I got him 2 friends, one was about 3/4 of his size. No bullyinging, he was just happy for some friends.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll go for it then. I know guppies aren't technically schooling fish, but mine definitely seemed to like having friends.

Upvote 0

HupGupp

If he's active in the community tank he's probably fine. I find males work best in groups of at least 3 but I don't have other kinds of community fish.

Upvote 0

Linda1234

I'm not sure lonely would be a proper term. Some fishes feel extremely uncomfortable and 'scared' if alone but guppies aren't have never been the sort to be shy or easily distressed.

Upvote 0

emeraldking

Hard to tell. For it depends on the individual guppy if it prefers company or not.

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

You seem to know your fish well, so go with your gut. From what you said above I would say you should definitely get him a few more friends

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Abrookesi
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
Replies
Views
WRWAquarium
  • Question
  • saddlebagsoph