Will Nerite Snail Be Ok At Higher Temp? Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by ASHLEY R COOK, May 25, 2018.

1. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

I saw some ich on one of my fish. Can i raise the temp to 85-86 F with a nerite snail in the tank?

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

I wouldn’t. Raising the temperature really does nothing if you aren’t treating the tank. All it does is speed up the ich life cycle. Raising it also lowers the oxygen in the water so you’ll have to add alot of aeration. It’ll probably die at 96F but so will everything in the tank.
    Don’t medicate the tank until you are sure it is ich. If it is ich, I have heard good things about Kordon Ich attack and Rid ich plus. I’d leave the snail in there because it’s possible ich attached to him. I’m not sure if it’s invertebrate safe. Check it out but just to be safe to add him to another tank.

3. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

Almost everyone on this site recommends raising the temp to around 86 F and doing extra gravel vacs to rid ich.
    Not 96 F.
    Most of the research I've done points to trying without meds first but I do have meds on hand if needed.
    I just need to know if 86 F for two weeks is ok for the nerite.

4. sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

Increasing to 86F totally got rid of the small ich outbreak I had in my tank. I didn't have my nerites in there at the time though. They are in there now, it's at 82F and they're doing fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice