Will My Tank Cycle?

Klever

Reaction score
I am new to fiahkeeping, and several weeks ago bought a 14L and a betta, under the assumption i could put a few small fish in with him. 3 different fish shops said i could, so got 4, had aggression issues and got advised to add 2 more and that would be slightly overstocking, but it fixed the aggression . After further research i realised i am quite over stocked. But do 2 40% water changea per week and monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate daily (if not twice as im a little paranoid now) and all are in normal parameters. I know i am overatocked and as of the moment, i cant return any of them and funds dont allow a new tank and even so dont really have space. I took my stockists word, so please dont say not to listen to the. But i just need to try and see if its possible to cycle. As im surprised I'm not seeing ammonia. Suggestions?

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Klever said:
I am new to fiahkeeping, and several weeks ago bought a 14L and a betta, under the assumption i could put a few small fish in with him. 3 different fish shops said i could, so got 4, had aggression issues and got advised to add 2 more and that would be slightly overstocking, but it fixed the aggression . After further research i realised i am quite over stocked. But do 2 40% water changea per week and monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate daily (if not twice as im a little paranoid now) and all are in normal parameters. I know i am overatocked and as of the moment, i cant return any of them and funds dont allow a new tank and even so dont really have space. I took my stockists word, so please dont say not to listen to the. But i just need to try and see if its possible to cycle. As im surprised I'm not seeing ammonia. Suggestions?
**** Klev...

You're simply doing a "Fish-In" cycle. There's nothing wrong with this method. You need to test the tank water every day. Test for ammonia and nitrite and if you have a positive test for either of these forms of nitrogen, remove 25 percent of the water and replace that with tap water treated with a product that removes chlorine and cloramine and detoxifies ammonia and nitrite. Seachem has some good products that do this. Just test and remove the water when needed. When you have several tests that show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, your tank is cycled. Once cycled, change out half the water every week to keep the water safe for your fish. The process takes roughly 30 days.

Old

Klever

Reaction score
I am testing every day using a api freshwater tester. Im using prime every water change. Should i do smaller changes or still do 40% changes twice a week. There is just so much conflict between stockists and hobbiests. Im not sure what im doing right, as on another forum got told i was doing pretty much everything wrong and should rehome all my fish... the qeird thing is i have read up on the nitrogen cycle, and rarely get ammonia readings at all. Even before my biweekly changes. Should i only chnage when the parameters change?and ive had the betta maybe a month and the tetras a couple weeks.
oldsalt777 said:
Klev...

You're simply doing a "Fish-In" cycle. There's nothing wrong with this method. You need to test the tank water every day. Test for ammonia and nitrite and if you have a positive test for either of these forms of nitrogen, remove 25 percent of the water and replace that with tap water treated with a product that removes chlorine and cloramine and detoxifies ammonia and nitrite. Seachem has some good products that do this. Just test and remove the water when needed. When you have several tests that show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, your tank is cycled. Once cycled, change out half the water every week to keep the water safe for your fish. The process takes roughly 30 days.

Old

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishlore.

Hopefully my experience 2 1/2 years ago will help put your mind yo rest.

I was cycling a 55 gallon fully stocked tank. Like you I did a fish in cycle. I was doing a 30% water change every other day. Not once did I get an ammonia reading. After about 4 weeks (If I am remembering correctly) it could have been 5 weeks, my nitrites went off the chart over night. At that point I was doing 30% water changes every day. I did that 5 days in a row. After the 5th water change my nitrites dropped to zero and my nitrates started showing up.

All of this to say, I never saw an ammonia reading in my tank and still haven't even 2 1/2 years later. I am sure some folks would consider my tank over stocked but it works for me. Some folks will say yours is too.

You didn't say what kind of small fish you have in there with your Betta but hopefully they are temp compatible with your Betta. He will enjoy temps close to 80 degrees. A lot of tetra species are more comfortable in lower temps.

Hang around and we will help you as much as we can.

Klever

Reaction score
I am so grateful to get a helpful not judgrmental response. This tank, i got for my son as our first pet, has started to give me anxiety because all i have got has been judgement when on forums, even though ive gone to fish stockists and gone by what they've said. I have a betta and 6 neon tetras. My tank is usually 25'c. Its quite planted as i got told the tetras needed hiding places. I try to test morning and night incase of spikes (as i said its been giving me anxiety). I had a spike of aome description 3 weeks in when i introduced rhe tetras but only got a testing kit the next day after id spent the night doing a complete flush of the tank over 4hrs...my betta was turning black snd the tetras went white. And havent had anything even close.
My test hasnt picked up any ammonia or nitrite. So should i continue daily tests and change when i see change?to allow the ammonia/nitrite to build a littlw and dose with prime every other day? (Some places say that others say dont touch the tank, so im a little confused)
mattgirl said:
Welcome to fishlore.

Hopefully my experience 2 1/2 years ago will help put your mind yo rest.

I was cycling a 55 gallon fully stocked tank. Like you I did a fish in cycle. I was doing a 30% water change every other day. Not once did I get an ammonia reading. After about 4 weeks (If I am remembering correctly) it could have been 5 weeks, my nitrites went off the chart over night. At that point I was doing 30% water changes every day. I did that 5 days in a row. After the 5th water change my nitrites dropped to zero and my nitrates started showing up.

All of this to say, I never saw an ammonia reading in my tank and still haven't even 2 1/2 years later. I am sure some folks would consider my tank over stocked but it works for me. Some folks will say yours is too.

You didn't say what kind of small fish you have in there with your Betta but hopefully they are temp compatible with your Betta. He will enjoy temps close to 80 degrees. A lot of tetra species are more comfortable in lower temps.

Hang around and we will help you as much as we can.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe neon tetras would prefer cooler water and sadly it is possible that your betta will eventually decide he doesn't want them in his space but for now you have to deal with the situation you find yourself in when following advice from someone that should have known better.

What I would do is let your tests dictate water changes. It is good that you have prime. It is going to be the best thing you could have to keep your fish safe during the cycling process.

Are you using any kind of bottled bacteria? The answer to this question will determine my answer to your questions.

Klever

Reaction score
The fish shop i got my betta from had several tanks with bettas and neons and said that if the temp isnt any higher they'd be fine, but again i dont know what to listen to these days. I used bottled bacteria initally, but then had to do almost a complete flush and got told to stop using it, so have only been dosing with prime during water changes

He's been with the tetras for several weeks now, and there was a bit of chasing at the beginning but he keeps to himself most of the time. I wish i hadnt gotten the tetras if I'm honest. But my 5yr old has now named them as well so subtlely removing them to i dont know where isnt possible even if the logistics worked out. Again 3 fish (not pet but specifically fish stockists) said i could put them in, and that amount. Im atleast glad the aggression between the tetras has calmed down...

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OK, It is possible that you are well on your way to cycled.

Are you seeing any nitrates?

It would really help if you could post your exact test kit readings from both the tank and your source water. That way we would both be on the same page and could possible tell where you are in your cycle. What some folks don't understand. The cycle is going to happen whether one watches what happens or not. It has no choice. If one has and ammonia source (fish waste) and filter media to house the bacteria nature will take its course.

In simple terms. Ammonia will turn to nitrites and nitrites will turn to nitrates. Nitrates will be removed with water changes.

You said you have a 14L tank. Is that 14 liters? or 14 long? If 14 liters It would be good if you could get a bigger tank. It can work but it is going to take a lot of water changes even after the cycle if finished.I do understand not being able to do it at this point though.

From all I have read it is harder to keep a cycle stable in smaller tanks because with such a small amount of water small changes in the water chemistry can cause problems quicker.

The very best thing you can do at this point is exactly what you have been doing. Keep testing your water. We can't know if you have had a nitrite spike. It could have happened before you got your test kit but if you are seeing nitrates and there are none in your source water we can assume you are already through the nitrite phase and well on your way to a cycled tank.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It sounds like you're on the right track in terms of monitoring your water and adjusting your water change schedule. If you have zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and low nitrate reading, I'd say you're cycled. As to your question about whether to keep doing what you're doing until you see changes in your water readings, yes. You'll see lots of different methods from lots of different people, some are successful and some aren't. The takeaway should be that you do what works for you. If you're doing 40% water changes twice a week, and you get zero ammonia and nitrites, seems to me that's working. The water changes might be a little more aggressive than I do, but when you factor in that you might be overstocked, it seems perfectly appropriate.

With fish stores you're going to find wildly differing levels of knowledge. Sometimes you might speak with an owner who has 138 years of experience and knows everything. Then you might speak with someone who is just working there not making much money. Fish stores would all go out of business if they had to hire experts to staff their stores. Again, it's a matter of looking at all the seemingly conflicting opinions, and sort through it and do what works for you.

Klever

Reaction score
Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it. I might slow down on the changes and see what changes. I did wake up this morning to a sick/dying tetra with a gauge out of his belly this morning. I dont know what happened. But he was the tetra causing the most problems as he was attacking everything. Im thinking he got in the way of the betta, as the others all sort of school but he would kinda patrol like the betta. He was the smallest fish by far, which is interesting. I get putting anything with the betta is an experiment so we'll see what he does.
My readings from this morning
Ph. 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

So got nothing, and its been 2.5 days since a change. I usually change Saturday mornings and tuesday evenings as i work the last portion of the week. So i might leave it a little longer and see if i get readings at all. As im off tomorrow i can monitor the tank and see if i was missing anythijg when i did regulalry water changes. Some places to dose with prime everyday straight into the tank but im not getting readings so guess we'll see. Any thoughts?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think you need to be dosing Prime when you are not reading any ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. As long as you are getting those readings you should only add prime to the water you are replacing during a water change.

I would hold off on water changes until you see some readings other than zero. It really is possible that your tank is cycled and the reason you are not seeing nitrates is because of all the water changes and plants eating them.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Klever said:
Plants eat nitrates?
Yep

You should see my houseplants now that I water them with the water I remove from my tank during a water change. Plants LOVE nitrates.

Klever

Reaction score
Huh well that is something new about the cycle i learnt. As i do have several plants so that would make sense. Im going to slow down on water changes and see if the parameters change. I really appreciate the gentle help. I know im not in the best situation, but i want to do what i can

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am happy that I was able to help you. Please keep us updated. I would love to hear how your tank in coming along.

I should have said something sooner. I was really sad to hear that one of your little guys got hurt Some folks are able to keep other fish with their Bettas but it seems it is always a gamble. Things can be going along fine and then they aren't. They will wake up to mayhem in their tanks and find the Betta is the only one left alive. Hopefully that won't happen in yours but I just wanted to kinda prepare you for it in case it does happen.

Klever

Reaction score
Thank you. I knew of the trials ans tribulations trying to do a compunity tank. I assessed his behaviours and he seemed docile so i thought id give it a shot. But the quantity in that tank was obviously where information was wrong. Ever since i added the tetras first 4, which caused fighting between themselves (the betta left them alone) and was encouraged to get 2 more. The most aggressive one was the one who died so it kinda solved one problem as the betta is still leaving the others alone.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Klever said:
Huh well that is something new about the cycle i learnt. As i do have several plants so that would make sense. Im going to slow down on water changes and see if the parameters change. I really appreciate the gentle help. I know im not in the best situation, but i want to do what i can
@mattgirl is a gem! she's one of the most patient, helpful, insightful and humble people on this forum and i remember to keep my impatience at bay when i see her lead by example with her responses. i'm so glad she helped you but i must say i'm not surprised

Klever

Reaction score
That she is! Honestly on several other forums people have pretty much said i should have done my research and never trust stockists and that i would never succeed in the hobby because i trusted them and should rehome all my fish. That doesnt help when Im stressed about ammonia spikes nor if i need help kust managing the situation. So thank you @mattgirl for being clear, helpful and supportive! It is much appreciated!!!
Jenoli42 said:
@mattgirl is a gem! she's one of the most patient, helpful, insightful and humble people on this forum and i remember to keep my impatience at bay when i see her lead by example with her responses. i'm so glad she helped you but i must say i'm not surprised

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks guys, Those were some beautiful words to wake up to this morning. They made my heart sing.

I try to remember where I was when I first started keeping aquariums many many years ago. There were a lot of trials and tribulations way back then. The trials and tribulations haven't changed but the way to get information certainly has

I occasionally see mob mentality surface and when it does I do try to talk it down to the best of my ability. Sadly it seems some tend to forget that they are dealing with folks that are trying their best but have gotten bad information. It is up to us to try to counteract that bad information the best we can and jumping on someone when they are down just isn't the best way to do it.

and as always, just my humble opinion.

Klever

Reaction score
Encouraging while informing is always the best option.
Follow up question, tested this afternoon, tge only thing different was ph which was up to 7.4.... i dont know why it shifted but its not alot. The snail has been making an aweful mess, should i clean up or leave it to see if the tank is cycling....
Thanks again

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom