Will my platys get eaten. Help

fishbreeeder

HI
In my 15gallon tank, my platys Annabeth mango and trump are breeding. I have found only 8 fries. are they getting eaten or did I not find them. Sorry about the 3 platy group. I will keep 4 fries. What should I add? Thanks for any advice. both females very close to birth.

Here is the pic

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_145403.jpg
    IMG_20200507_145403.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 54

SavTheArtist

HI
In my 15gallon tank, my platys Annabeth mango and trump are breeding. I have found only 8 fries. are they getting eaten or did I not find them. Sorry about the 3 platy group. I will keep 4 fries. What should I add? Thanks for any advice. both females very close to birth.
they are most likely being eaten unless it is a planted tank or you remove them.

Upvote 0

Amythe

HI

Here is the pic
Many fish eat ther own frys, so I suspect they are getting eatten

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

they are most likely being eaten unless it is a planted tank or you remove them.
Here is the pic
I am netting them out but only 8 where found. What can I add to save them and how do i make a fry trap

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_124745.jpg
    IMG_20200507_124745.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0

flyinGourami

A few are probably getting eaten. Some breeders don't experience this, but a lot of people do. Adding denser plants so there are more hiding spaces should help. However, unless you want a high survival rate I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

A few are probably getting eaten. Some breeders don't experience this, but a lot of people do. Adding MORE plants so there are more hiding spaces should help. However, unless you want a high survival rate I wouldn't worry too much about it.
OK, I will a bunch of java moss. One of my frys Leo was found being chased by Annabeth

Upvote 0

Amythe

Here is the pic
I am netting them out but only 8 where found. What can I add to save them and how do i make a fry trap
Find places where it is most likely to have eggs, as fish "throw" Their eggs

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

Platys do not lay eggs... They are livebearers...
I know. That's why i chose platys. I don't want to deal with eggs

Upvote 0

Daniodude

Tbh I would let some get eaten, it really helps in the long run.

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

Tbh I would let some get eaten, it really helps in the long run.
meh for now i have less babyies than i waant

Upvote 0

e_watson09

You can get a breeder net to hang in the tank. That can house the babies until they're old enough to not get eaten.

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

You can get a breeder net to hang in the tank. That can house the babies until they're old enough to not get eaten.
I made one but by the time i woke only 8 lived

Upvote 0

e_watson09

I made one but by the time i woke only 8 lived

Yeah unfortunately that's pretty common. Some breeders move the momma into the net before she gives birth but its hard to know for sure when they're going to deliver and it can be stressful.

With a 15g tank tho 8 fry it probably the perfect amount for you to grow out because as they get bigger they'll be contributing to the bioload on your tank until you sell them

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

Yeah unfortunately that's pretty common. Some breeders move the momma into the net before she gives birth but its hard to know for sure when they're going to deliver and it can be stressful.

With a 15g tank tho 8 fry it probably the perfect amount for you to grow out because as they get bigger they'll be contributing to the bioload on your tank until you sell them
yep but i have 3 adults

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

OK, I will a bunch of java moss. One of my frys Leo was found being chased by Annabeth

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• fishbreeeder
  • Platy
Replies
Views
fishbreeeder
  • Andrew waterson
  • Platy
Replies
Views
kallililly1973