Will my Platy fry survive?

1. johnt11

johnt11 Valued Member Member

Hello,

New to all of this so any help would be appreciated.

I have 4 platy fry in a community tank. They all seem to be doing ok but over the last couple of days have come out of their hiding places and are getting very brave and swimming with the other fish in the tank.

They are probably 1/4 inch long.

Are they likely to survive or are they still small enough to be eaten?

Thanks

John

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What other fish do you have in the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    johnt11

4. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

I had three platy fry that I put in the community tank at about that size, two got eaten and the other one was smart enough to stay hidden and move quickly until he was big enough to be seen. The other fish (platies, flame tetras, angels, pictus cats and more) stopped trying to eat him around 1/2" or so. She's almost 1" now and fearless.

Don't worry. With your stocking situation, you'll be having plenty more fry. :)

5. OP
    OP
    johnt11

All of the fry seem to be doing well and all but one (smaller shyer one) are swimming freely with the other fish in the tank. Surprised how easy it was to get them to breed.

6. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Well you don't have to do anything really to get them to breed, if the females are healthy and there is or has been a male around they should be pregnant. The difficult part is getting them to stop breeding!!