Will My Plants Have Enough Light?

jbsm

Hello,
I recently had the urge to start an outdoor tub and I used my aquarium plants for decoration. I set up the tub in a place that never gets direct sunlight to avoid large temp swings and excessive algae but I’m worried the plants won’t get enough light. Please let me know if you think they will still be able to thrive. The plants:

Staurogyne repens sp Porto Velho
Dwarf hair grass
Monte Carlo
Ludwigia sp Red
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Guppie grass
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Myriophyllum
And another red plant I forgot the name of

Thank you for your advice
Image1555098687.635479.jpg

Image1555098724.215479.jpg

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you hope our pond keepers can help you today

jbsm

Thank you Coradee

SuperD14

Are there any fish in there, and is there a spot you can put where it will get full sun for a part of the day, for example in he morning it had full sun but as the sun moves it’s in the shadows?

jbsm

Hello SuperD14,thanks for your reply. I have celestial pearl danios in there and plan to add cherry shrimp, There are areas in the middle of the patio that would get a bit of full sun, but my wife doesn’t really want my tub experiment in the first place and she’s fine with it as long as it’s in a corner.

SuperD14

jbsm said:
Hello SuperD14,thanks for your reply. I have celestial pearl danios in there and plan to add cherry shrimp, There are areas in the middle of the patio that would get a bit of full sun, but my wife doesn’t really want my tub experiment in the first place and she’s fine with it as long as it’s in a corner.
Sorry I don’t think it says, what country are you in, I’m sure the plants will do okay but maybe if you slowly moved it bit by bit into the area with a bit of sun then the wife shouldn’t notice haha!!

jbsm

SuperD14 said:
Sorry I don’t think it says, what country are you in, I’m sure the plants will do okay but maybe if you slowly moved it bit by bit into the area with a bit of sun then the wife shouldn’t notice haha!!
Haha thanks for the reassurance and idea I’m in Southern California.

SuperD14

jbsm said:
Haha thanks for the reassurance and idea I’m in Southern California.
Ohhh so it’ll be warm enough

bentaz

There are lots of plants that will thrive in a shady spot like that but most commercial aquarium plants will want more light to thrive.
You need to decide whether you want to grow aquarium plants (If so move the tub) or grow plants in that spot (if so look for more suitable plants) .
But if you move the tub into the sun when she's not home, in my experience she'll get over it, but add some water iris or some other pretty flowering plant and tell her your growing them for her!

bentaz

Another option is to find a better looking tub, like a large plant pot and silicone up the drain hole and make it a nice focal point to that patio.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom