Will my peppered corydoras hurt themselves while digging in the sand?

1. fish gazer Member Member

I have 3 Peppered Corydoras in my tank with a sand substrate. They're pretty small at the moment so I haven't seen them dig into the sand too deeply yet.

My concern is that I have 2 pieces of driftwood that was purchased at the store that are attached to pieces of slate to hold them down I guess, some of the edges are just below the sands surface.

While they dig, will they scratch/damage themselves while they're digging? Should I uncover as much as I can so that they can see them? Or do they just figure this out on their own?

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome. If the base/slate is smooth, it would be very similar to the bottom of the tank. However, if there is a rough or jagged edge, I would be concerned. If the latter is the case, you might want to replace the slate with a safer base. You could attach it with a hot glue stick or some other adhesive.

3. fish gazer Member Member

Thank you!

The base does have some jagged edges on it, it may not even be slate, but looks like it. What do you think I could attach the driftwood to that would be safe for the aquarium?

4. claireputput Well Known Member Member

You could glue some aquarium rocks but it may be weighted down with water by now-how long has it been in the water?

5. FiscCyning Member Member

You could also try filing the sharp edges of the base to round them off so they are smoother.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Corys won't dig down as deep as 2" so I wouldn't be worried about them hurting them selves on the slate

7. fish gazer Member Member

It's been about 3 months. It's 2 pieces, one more horizontal and chunky and the other is more vertical.

Sorry about that, the substrate is about 2" max but the jagged pieces/edges are slightly under the surface sand, I'll edit my post!

Not a bad idea! The thing is that they go head first into the sand, Even if it's smoother, I feel like they will knock their head/face into it either way!

8. fish gazer Member Member

This is a picture of the driftwood at the store. It's screwed on, what do you think???? Sorry, not sure why it's uploading sideways..

Most of the grey rock is covered in sand in the tank.

photo(1).JPG

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The wood is lovely but I'd be inclined to take the slate off if it's just screwed on then you wouldn't have to worry about any sharp edges

10. fish gazer Member Member

Thanks, It's been in there for about 3 months, it shouldn't float right? Don't want to go through the hassle of taking everything out..

11. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It shouldn't float if it's been in the tank that long

12. fish gazer Member Member

Ok, I made up my mind. I am going to unscrew the rocks off of the wood today, I don't want the chance of them hurting themselves later, it will always be in the back of my mind. Urgghhh I hate taking things out of the tank!

Btw. I heard about watching out for their barbells and to put suitable substrate and decorations for them but I watched one of my corys the other day and he was actually going right beside a rough rock and kept digging against it, looking for food, strange!

Sent from my cell phone.

13. fish gazer Member Member

Done and done! One less thing to worry about.

photo 1.JPG