Will My Nerite Eat And How Much? Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by AleksTheFish, Apr 17, 2019.

1. AleksTheFishValued MemberMember

Hi. I’m going on holiday on Friday for more than a week, and I just put my Nerite in my new tank, so there’s no algae or waste he can eat. So I put carrot in, but it’s been a 24h+ and he still hasn’t found it. Will he “smell” it eventually? Maybe also did I put too much carrot in for the ~10 days I’m gone?
    IMG_9459.jpgIMG_9460.jpg
    It’s a slice of normal size carrot.

2. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

I don't know if Nerites will even eat carrots.

3. midnaWell Known MemberMember

the carrot's gona rot and foul the water while you're gone for that long. plus one snail is never gonna eat all that. i've only had luck feeding my nerites zucchini. they're pretty picky eaters and mainly eat algae and biofilm. i'd take the carrots out and just hope for the best.

4. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Just leave the light on while your gone and scrape off the algae when you get back

5. AleksTheFishValued MemberMember

Ok. How long can Nerites go without eating? Just in case. I removed the carrot and put in cucumber.
    It’s a quarter of a very thin slice. Is that still too much?

Attached Files:

6. IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Idk how long nerites can go without eating but 10 days may be a stretch.. The cucumber is mainly water and has very little nutritional value, so zucchini is better, if you're even lucky enough to get him to eat it, but that was already mentioned... As said above, leaving veg in the tank too long will be worse because it will just foul the water and spike ammonia. I would go with what was mentioned and leave the lights on, or a window blind open, if the tank is near one, while your gone, and hope some algae starts to grow. Good luck.

7. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

I'd just put an algae tab in there when you leave, no veggies. A nerite will dig into the substrate to get bits of brown or green algae. He won't touch a rotting cucumber and it will start rotting within 24-36 hours.
    Do you HAVE algae or other veggie bottom feeder pellets? If not, you need them.

8. AleksTheFishValued MemberMember

Ok, thank you. I will remove the cucumber tomorrow morning if it hasn’t been touched as I do not have the time to do so at the moment.

9. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Nerites never go without eating. He will find enough biofilm to survive on during the time you're gone. I don't think they really need any supplemental feeding. The ones I have had all totally ignore anything that is put in. The first one survived a cycle where there was no kind of algae present and he never touched anything I put in for him. What he ate, I don't know but he did fine and even grew a slight bit.

10. midnaWell Known MemberMember

if you want to build up biofilm for your snail quicker look into bacter ae. there are some other products that do the same thing but bacter ae is the most popular. you might be able to get someone to send you a little bit to start you off. i put a tiny bit in my tanks every day or every other day because my nerites don't have much to eat anymore.

11. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Don't use much of it at all. I tried it and it caused an outbreak of detritus worms.

12. eustoma01Valued MemberMember

Any vegetable you put in there will rot in 10 days... assuming the nerite doesn't eat it. I microwaved a slice of zucchini for 10 seconds and put it in my tank and the next day I pulled it out because my water looked a little cloudy and it smelled totally rotten. Also, my snails pretty much ignored it which makes me think they have enough to eat in the tank via algae because I have a bucket outside with plants and snails in it and when I put the slice in there they pretty much swarmed it.