Will my HOB filters be sufficient for all my fish

Bella Rozza

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's been quite a while since I last posted and I need to update my aquarium status, but now I have 9 dwarf Gourami in 29 gallon; 1 male and 3 female Golden, 2 male and 3 female Honey. They are beautiful to watch and they are all getting along and have places to hide in my heavily planted aquarium. I have a Fluval 50gal (Aquaclear) HOB filter and do a WC every other week along with plant maintenance. I also have 6 glowlight tetra, 4 Cories, 3 flower shrimp and a 4" SAE. Oh and a MTS infestation but that's for another topic) I know that's a ton of fish for my 29 gallon but everything seems to be going just fine.

I also have a planted 10 gallon with a Fluval 30 gallon (Aquaclear) HOB filter with 4 Cories, 2 Neon (had 7 but 5 died), 4 long red fin tetra and 1 blood fin tetra. Will the filter be sufficient? This is with a WC every other week and gravel cleaning (well it's sand).

I know I should increase the Corycat and Tetra schools but just don't have room. I will add updated photo's of both tanks later tonight.

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is no way filtering is going to increase the health of fish in those ridiculously small tanks.

most of thefish should be rehomed.
sae should all be rehomed. They're too big for a 29. Theres not enough room for a school of neons in a 10, probably why they're dyin off, stress.

youre saying they're ok, while neons are dying off and mts are showing up in hordes. I dont id that as ok. Mts likely feeding on excess waste from over crowding.

Bella Rozza

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Neons died before I had any other fish in there except 2 Cories, it was 24 hours after I got them. I only had 7. The Mts came in on some LFS java moss that has since been removed. They do a pretty good job at cleaning up the plant leaves, etc.

I don't think my tanks are ridiculous. The fish are happy and I've had them for a long time, but thanks for your not so nice comment.

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im just being realistic. The sizes are way too small.

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is the total Gourami count 9 or ? Gourami don't like a lot of surface movement, so adding another filter could upset them. I would re home the SAE asap. When you have an overstocked tank everything may seem like it;s going fine, until it opens the door to some very ugly diseases. when the Gourami start to fight, you'll need to have a place to put the battered ones. Good luck.

Bella Rozza

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Et tu said:
Is the total Gourami count 9 or ? Gourami don't like a lot of surface movement, so adding another filter could upset them. I would re home the SAE asap. When you have an overstocked tank everything may seem like it;s going fine, until it opens the door to some very ugly diseases. when the Gourami start to fight, you'll need to have a place to put the battered ones. Good luck.
Yes, the total count is 9 and they are dwarf gourami. None of them fight just some chasing here and there to establish territory and they all have places to hide. I clean the filter, do water changes, clean the gravel every two weeks, sometimes every week. I can't imagine with all that maintenance they would get diseased. My tanks are very clean always. I had 2 SAE's but one grew so fast and big he was re-homed about 6 months after I got him. The one I have never grew that large. It's about a year old and is just 4". He's nice and healthy and isn't aggressive and swims around cleaning leaves and loves zuchinni and peas that I put in. If he gets any larger I will re-home him. What kind of disease would you be talking about?

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bacterial diseases such as coulmaris / septicemia are brought on by overstocked tanks. Viral / iridovirus are common in dwarf gourami and overcrowding & the stress that it causes will weaken the fishes immune system, resulting in death. Overstocked tanks are not conducive to successful fish keeping. ( except for some cichlids )

Bella Rozza

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Why would cichlids be immune?

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are not immune, some species of cichlids need to be overstocked to avert aggression. In those type of tanks a large sump is used to increase the water volume, so a 150 gallon tank will often have almost the same amount for the sump...total water volume is doubled.

Bella Rozza

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, just a quick update... 2 months since my last post and no change in my fish. None have died or gotten diseased. Like I said I take special care to see that my water is in great condition especially with the number of fish I have. My 2 male Honey Gourami Each have staked out their own territory.. one big leaf over the other. When they see each other they just check each out and go back to their spots and make bubble nests. Sometimes they chase the females away from the nests if they hang out there too long, but it's normal and the females always have their own places to hide.

I still have the mts but with the water changing and gravel cleaning they never get out of control.

I'll keep you posted again in another couple of months.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads