will my goldfish eat smaller guppys

Discussion in 'Cyprinids (includes Goldfish)' started by endlerfreak1, Dec 29, 2012.

1. e

endlerfreak1 New Member Member

I have a few guppys that seem to drop every week. So I was wondering if I could feed them to my goldfish? He is like 10 inches long he is in a 55 with more goldfish 2 about 6 inches and one that is around 4 inches I have to hob filters both 60-110 gallon. Has anyone fed there goldfish little fish before

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

Yup, the goldfish will eat anything they can. They may not recognize the fry as food at first though, but it shouldn't take them long.

3. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I agree with Jaysee they will likely eat it.

4. OP
    OP
    e

Well when I first put them in they chased them around for like a min. But after after that they where like whatever. I had full grown guppys with them before they would only stand to have two in there and never messed with them. When I got two more guppys they killed them in less than a week. So I am hopping they eat them or I will have to get them out and take them to my friends tank for a treat for his two Oscars that he has

5. Jaysee

I would expect the goldfish to get them eventually. They are opportunistic, in my experience. I wouldn't expect them to eat lots and lots of fry though. I think you could take the ones that grow up to your friends tank for the oscars.

6. OP
    OP
    e

I tried to take them today to him and he told me he didn't want them. But he later told me that he went and got feeder fish from the store and the last time his fish got sick. They brought fin rot to his tank and they had hole in head after he feed them.

7. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

Yeah, that is understandable of your friend. Live food can be tricky esp when you buy the feeders from the chain store. Whatever they eat they get disease included.

8. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

I actually have a couple guppies in with my goldfish specifically so they'll get a fry treat every 28 days, they love it!

9. Jaysee

I'd bet money that the adults get eaten, in time.

10. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

How much you wanna bet? ;)

11. OP
    OP
    e

I would bet I have seen them eat some of my older ones before they trap them in the corner and go nuts over them lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice