Will My Cycle Still Work With Ammonia Remover

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Crapapples, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Crapapples

Crapapples Valued Member Member

Hi

Looks like my betta tank wasn't fully cycled so since putting him in I have a small amount of ammonia and nitrite constantly present :( I am doing 50% water changes daily, the amounts aren't high thank goodness, just a small trace of each.

Can I just check - I have put some ammonia remover in, I know it won't technically remove but change to ammonium, but will this effect the cycle or can the bacteria still feed on ammonium to complete the cycle?

Thanks

2. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

I thought ammonia removers actually bind it to the material, this removed ng it from the water. i would just use prime daily until the cycle completes. You only need to do a water change if the ammonia+nitrite levels are 1ppm or higher.

3. OP
    OP
    Crapapples

Thanks TexasGuppy. That's a blow, so maybe I have stalled the cycle then by doing this :/ Bugger. I could probably ease off on the water changes I suppose and let it runs it's course as it is very low.

4. Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

I don’t think I’d use it either if trying to cycle. I have used it in an uncycled QT and it was great for that purpose. It did drop the ammonia to 0 and I didn’t get nitrites/nitrates, as I assumed there was nothing for the bacteria to feed on.

5. OP
    OP
    Crapapples

Yes, this is my fear also. I thought it was done but must have been just a little too soon for me to put a fish in :( I will try and ride it out, maybe do a large water change today to remove the ammonia remover perhaps?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice