Will My Cat's Jump Into My Tanks? Pls Dnt Laf:) Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Aquarista, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Aquarista

AquaristaNew MemberMember

I didn't see where to post these pictures, hope it's okay...Our cats love fishies...

oh, white cloud minnows in foreground :)

Wondering if my cats will jump into the tank if leave the cover off?

And yes, the tank is under construction...

Attached Files:

2. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

HAHAHAHA!!! Mine did!!! Maxi likes to sit on the glass lid to tease the angel fish. I was feeding them and realized the food was at the other tank and by the time i got back, Max had jumped onto the lid. Except I had taken the lid off. All four paws in the tank, I nearly died laughing. Water and cat hair EVERYWHERE!

My other cat whiskey would bop noses with my 6” goldfish if I left the lid off.

3. OP
    OP
    Aquarista

tx nighthawk, im thinking i will take the lid off and show each cat that its water now and see how that goes for the night my wife will be watching lol

i put him over the tank and he didnt like it, im waiting to see if he will stick his paw in, hesour most water friendly cat

4. 2211Nighthawk

Oh she knew it was water. She hates it. But she didn’t know the lid was off. :D oh I laughed so hard... Whiskey I can’t turn my back on, multiple times I’ve caught him in a drained (execpet for an inch and a half of sand and water) tank just playing in the sand. He’s the one that likes water.

5. OP
    OP
    Aquarista

oh just saw youre in manitoba thats nice, im in montreal with bilingual cats lol

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

7. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Depends on the cat. Mine takes no notice of my aquariums whatsoever. But he's a strange one. He's also an outdoor cat so really only comes in the house to sleep and be fed.

8. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

They’re certainly not going to get into the tank on purpose, they don’t enjoy water hahaha. Mine just sits on top and watches my Jaguar cichlid. It doesn’t have a lid, just a strip light. Sometimes the Jag will tease her lol.

9. GuppyDazzle

GuppyDazzleValued MemberMember

What a great photograph! Poor kitty. So close but yet so far.

10. 2211Nighthawk

These two are my troublemakers. They do NOT like each other. She’s also the one that ended up in the tank.
    A0DF031F-DBA3-4D89-AC61-9CBC2708824E.png

11. BAS Aquariums

BAS AquariumsValued MemberMember

the first day i had my first 20 i got for Christmas one of my cats jumped in and never tried again. my other 2 take no notice to my aquariums but enjoy teasing my dads clownfish

12. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

1 plonge and never again !

13. ZoraNew MemberMember

I had a cat that would jump in at every opportunity. She wasn't the slightest bit off put by wet. I used to have one as a child that would sit on top of the goldfish tank and scoop one out and drop it back in again. Over and over and over. Right now I have a 55 gallon with a broken lid and a cat who knows how to exploit it. She isn't afraid of getting wet to get to what's in the tank. Not one to sit idly by and be teased by happy little fishes. I have to be very careful that it isn't just closed but also weighted down.

14. OP
    OP
    Aquarista

Thank you everyone, I see the big picture :)

15. Miaw

MiawValued MemberMember

My cats don't jump on lids anymore because for a long time I had double sided sticky tape on pieces of card on top of them. They eventually learnt it was hard to not get sticky paws so stopped trying. It did take months though.

I had my tank lid off for 8 days a couple weeks ago and they never jumped in luckily.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice