Will My Betta Be Ok Without A Heater Until Tomorrow?

Bamboothebetta
I noticed my Betta behaving pretty frantically the past 2 days and couldn't figure out why. I thought maybe it was because I was organizing in our office but last night I finally realized the heater in his tank is no longer heating the water. The tank is holding at 72 degrees, but due to the holiday there is nothing I can do about getting a new heater until tomorrow. I have looked around and we don't have any heating pads nor lamps with incandescent bulbs (or goosenecks that would really fit over a tank). We don't even have cheap plastic water bottles I could fill with hot water as we only use glass or stainless (and would prefer our used daily bottles not go in a fish tank). I did set our lava lamp next to the tank, as it's the only thing we have that produces a good amount of heat. The tank light also produces a minimal amount of heat (it's LED) but I doubt enough to raise the temp by much, if anything. Any other thoughts?

Advertisement
Fishcat
Insulation. If you have foam that you can cut to size and put around it, or bubble wrap, or anything that can hold heat in, use that. Just keep an eye on the temp to make sure it doesn’t heat too much from the light, though it shouldn’t - water has a tremendous ability to hold heat without its temperature rising by much. Also would not wrap insulation around the lava lamp - fire risk.

Bamboothebetta
Well it seems the temp near the lava lamp has risen to 75 degrees, which is better than 72 and it hasn't even been on long enough for the 'lava' to start flowing so hopefully it'll get warmer later (I'll be monitoring to make sure it doesn't get too warm). Doubtful it will heat the entire 7.5 gallon tank just sitting next to one side of it, but at least there's a warmer area the fish can be in (and sure enough, he is huddled up in that area, poor thing was upset because he was cold, not the unusual activity).

LuxuriantTen
Your betta should be fine just try to get him a heater asap. Betta's are known for living in unheated bowls and cups. It's bad for their health but he should survive for a day or two without any problems. Do you have radiators that heat up your house? if so you can try placing his tank 20-30 cm above it and heat up the tank that way.

Fanatic
HI Bamboothebetta

I am glad you caught it early before something worse had happened, a lack of heat long term can cause bettas to get ill quickly.
He should be just fine without the heater for one more day, but you can do a lot of things to make it more comfortable for him before it arrives.
LED lights won't raise the temperature, you can also wrap the tank in a thick piece of fuzzy cloth, like a fleece blanket or scarf.

Don't pour any warmer water into the tank, that could shock him if done improperly.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BlueSable
Replies
Views
aramigraphix
Replies
Views
jdhef
Replies
Views