Will My Aquarium Table Support A 20 Gallon Fowlr Setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonsOfGuppies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Im very concerned and scared about a potential tank collapse if i start one. Im going to reuse my 20 gal tank and my aquarium stand that i have been using for freshwater for 2 years now.
So the aquarium stand supports my freshwater setup fine (its manufactured for aquarium purpose). Been using it for 2 years. Tried rocking it and it only swayed a tiny bit (like 1 millimeter)

My concern is that 20lbs of live rocks i would be adding would put a lot of weight on the stand. The tank would be around 20Ibs heavier...

I don't know, really.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

Well...your tank would be a 200-215lbs. So, ask a friend or family member and have them sit on the stand with you and wiggle around a bit to see if the stand holds. Usually, those sorts so stands are able to hold a bit more than we think, and you should only be worried if there has been water damage or something to compromise the structure.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kind of a hard question to answer for you without actually being there and weight testing it.

But I will tell you this, by adding 20lbs of rock... you will have less water volume.
So at the end of the day, it's not going to weigh that much more than your freshwater.

Let's do a quick math.

20 gallon empty glass tank weighs about 25lbs.

FW set-up:
You can probably only fit 18 gallons of water in it with no sand or décor in the tank, unless you brim it to the top.
So let's say your freshwater tank weighed a total of (18 gallons x 8.34lbs) + 25lbs = 175.12 lbs

SW set-up:
20lbs rock + 20lbs sand = 40lbs.
Total water volume you'll probably be able to fit in the tank is now around 15 gallons.
Saltwater weighs 2.5% more than freshwater.... so rounded to be 8.6lbs per gallon.
(15 gallons x 8.6) + 40lbs +25lbs = 194 lbs

A difference of 19lbs.
If it's already currently in use, I don't think you will have a problem.
Just make sure when you break it down that all the screws are tight and everything is intact with no decay or anything like that.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited:

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should be fine. If the stands support your 20 gallon tank, and your adding a couple pounds of rock, it won't make that much of a difference, like mentioned above. My uncle has a 25g FOWLR and about 30-40 lbs of live rock and his stand holds just fine as well.

OP
SonsOfGuppies

SonsOfGuppies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks guys... I've check and everything is intact. Not sure about this tho. The "skin" that covers the wood is peeling in a few areas and in some are expanding.

Here are some pics:
88055c1704e7034b8e26903f62625cfb.jpg

1269806c39d247956bef26f25834fc04.jpg

70c692c38d3a5e098397084e530300b0.jpg

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmmm..... It looks like it's starting to mold and decay.
I would use this as an excuse to make or get a new stand so you don't have to worry about it a few years later.

Cranks_Tanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd bet with almost 100% certainty that if your stand if built for aquarium use, it has a safety factor of multiple times more that just empty water weight. An extra 20-30 pounds of rock should not make or break your system by any means. With your math, you would be golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom