Question Will My 75g River Tank Be Overstocked?

Shu

Reaction score
Hello all! I think I've asked a similar question before, but then school started, and I got a puppy, and you know, life happened. Long story short I've had a half finished 75 gallon freshwater tank sitting in my living room for 6 months and it's a huge eyesore. My previously mentioned puppy is finally old enough that I can focus of other things, and I've decided to finish the tank! I was going over my previous ideas/ notes that I originally had, and the stocking seems like it might be a bit crowded. I honestly can't remember if I was actually going to get all of these eventually or if I just listed them as possible options. At the moment its:
12 Neon Tetra(already owned)
12 Black Neon Tetra
6 male Endler's Guppy
6 Panda corys
10 Praecox Rainbowfish
6 Cherry Barbs
and a couple Nerite snails

I believe that ends up being around 85 inches of fish, though I know that the 'inch per gallon' rule isn't always law. The tank has being going for around a year now(it was used for something else before and then I completely broke it down, though I did keep some of the filter media), though it hasn't had much of a bioload(cycling for a month or 2, and then the 12 neon tetra). It has a Hydor 350 canister filter and a heater set to around 73 degrees. the pH is 6.2 and the kH is 5. I'm also planning on planting the tank heavily before getting the rest of the fish, so that way the plants can root before being picked at possibly. Thank you all!

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Id nix the cherry barbs. Too many top dwellers.

Up your cories. Could do up to 25 cories easy in that tank. Id at least increase them to 10.

jpm995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would check your water params. I've read that ph below 6.5 can damage the bacteria.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Or nix the endlers. Id choose one or the other between the barbs and endlers. Endlers move slower and may struggle to get food before your tetras snipe it all.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We have an 75 gallon community tank full of an assortment of fish.

Our cherry barbs hang out right in the middle, give or take.

Our neon tetras always seem to be in the lower half of the tank, while our black neon tetras hang out all over.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with your stocking.

I do agree with the other members with their suggestion about bumping up the # of corydoras. Ive got around 15 plus about 8-10 khulI loaches.

I have the 600 model of your Hydor. The Hydor's seem to be great canisters. I like them a lot.

My main suggestion is to bump up your overall filtration.

I would add a pair of large sponge filters, one in each back corner. Don't underestimate the power of the sponge filter.

ATI, Aquatop and Aquarium Co-OP are good brands of sponge filters.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jpm995 said:
I would check your water params. I've read that ph below 6.5 can damage the bacteria.
Its fine. At lower pH, it falls out of the optimum and the conversion rate of nitrofication occurs at a slower rate (and takes a higher bacterial load to export the same amount of waste at a higher pH. As long as the filter is stocked with appropriate bio media, they be more than fine.

(At lower pH, ammonia is converted to its conjugate acid, ammomium. This is non toxic to fish - so presence of low trace levels of 'ammomia' is fine.

New Threads