Will My 32 Biocube Lighting Support Coral? Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Lighting' started by Kyler9437, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Kyler9437New MemberMember

So im in the process of cycling my tank and I'm doing as much research as possible before I'm ready for fish and coral. I keep hearing about strong lighting and now I'm worried that maybe the stock light on my cube's hood might not be strong enough to support coral and an anemone. I'm reading the booklet that came with my tank and it says:
    PAR 53
    Peak PAR @ 12" 81
    LUX 2200
    Peak LUX @ 12" 3430

Is this good enough for coral and anemone? I'm still pretty new to this stuff so I'm not too sure what this really means.

P.S here is my tank  

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. thesoulpatch

thesoulpatchWell Known MemberMember

3. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Corals and anemones are more adaptable to different lighting that we usually think. PAR values under 100 are considered pretty low, so I don't think there's any SPS that would do great, but there are plenty of soft corals and some LPS that prefer lower light. Look into leathers, zoanthids, mushrooms, toadstools, which are all softies, as well as acanthastrea, favias, trumpets and euphyllia, (LPS corals.) These corals may be kept under higher lighting at stores, so would have to adapt to the lower lighting in your tank. This means they may be unhappy for a while after you get them home. I would suggest taking it slow, starting with a softie or two to see how it goes. If it goes well, try a more difficult coral like an LPS and give it some time before adding more.

If you can happily house softies and LPS, then you could feel comfortable trying an anemone. 'Nem's don't really do well in new tanks anyway, so best to wait and allow things to mature a bit. A rose bubble tip anemone, (RBTA), is also very adaptable. For example, and RBTA would appreciate more light... it would probably grow faster be a more vivid color under higher PAR, but that's not to say that it wouldn't maintain it's health under lower light. Also, most anemones can get rather huge, so who needs fast growth? I have seen plenty of 'nems under less than stellar lighting. ;) I have also seen many beautiful examples of BioCubes full of soft corals under stock lighting. :) Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank though, so my best advice is to take things one step at a time, and don't invest in more coral until you see that the previously purchased coral is doing well.

4. OP
    OP
    K

Kyler9437New MemberMember

I wanted to do some soft coral anyways so that's good. There's a long polip and a green leather at my store that I have been looking at since they came in. I also have a condy anemone that is also at my store. Those don't get too big so would that work in my small tank?

5. Aqua Hands

Aqua HandsWell Known MemberMember

No SPS

6. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

A condy might work, but it would be best to wait and see how some easier species do first. Try the leather. ;)

7. Nart

NartWell Known MemberMember

max peak of 81 PAR at 12" is considered low light and may not be adequate for a bubble tip anemone. I think BTA's need about 115-120 PAR min and some species require higher PAR.

You'll be able to get low-light demanding corals like green star polyps, trumpet corals, duncans,

8. Aqua Hands

Aqua HandsWell Known MemberMember

By the way a BTA will get huge and take up most of your tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice