Will My 20 Gallon Tank Be Overstocked?

Punkin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not an expert on many of those species but I would not do the African dwarf frogs. Too much food competition.

Ken Kanatsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Not too sure, but wouldn't the crab make a meal out of the shrimp?

Metallica1175

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ken Kanatsu said:
Not too sure, but wouldn't the crab make a meal out of the shrimp?
From everything I've seen online not really. They are very peaceful, plus they're more herbivore than carnivore. The only time I've seen mine aggressive is when a shrimp comes near their little house they've dug out in the gravel.

LoverofBettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Try aqadvisor if you have the time! It’s a little conservative with its stocking but it can give you a good idea. Also, don’t quote me on this, but don’t platies and/or mollies need to be in groups (idk how many if I am correct)?

Metallica1175

Valued Member
Reaction score
LoverofBettas said:
Try aqadvisor if you have the time! It’s a little conservative with its stocking but it can give you a good idea. Also, don’t quote me on this, but don’t platies and/or mollies need to be in groups (idk how many if I am correct)?
I've read that platies and mollies are fine as the only one of their kind in a tank, they just appreciate it more if they have more of their kind with them. They're not a schooling or shoaling fish.

Jimmie93

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The first fish you listed you will be fine but my question is why? Those fish will not get a long and will probably kill each other.

Metallica1175

Valued Member
Reaction score
Jimmie93 said:
The first fish you listed you will be fine but my question is why? Those fish will not get a long and will probably kill each other.
What do you mean they won't get along? The fish I listed are staples of a peaceful community tank.

Jimmie93

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Metallica1175 said:
I've read that platies and mollies are fine as the only one of their kind in a tank, they just appreciate it more if they have more of their kind with them. They're not a schooling or shoaling fish.
Those would probably be fine but guppies and platys do not go together I have a left over platy in my hybrid guppy tank and the guppies hate it and attack it all the time.

Heathen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Be careful with the crab and anything that dwells or spends any time on the bottom or within its reach.

The molly and platy can cross breed, so careful in getting two of the same gender as well. The females can also hold sperm up to 90-ish days so you can still get surprise fry, they can also draw the sperm whenever and leave some to have as many or few fry as they like. They do like to be in groups, however.

The gourami and lyretail molly may or may not get along, depending on the molly and the gourami-gourami are in the same family as betta and have a lot of the same mannerisms.

Nerites are fun so long as you don't mind the white dots of their eggs lol.

ADFs are fun to have but I often suggest these as a species only tank. It's very plausible they will eat the shrimp as they primarily hunt by movement and they have rather poor eyesight. Typically you'll want to have a barebottom tank with these guys and a dish for them to eat from that is highly visible. They also do better in groups

Hope some of this helps get a grasp on what kind of tank you'd like to have!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom