Will My 2 Neon Tetras Eat Baby Black Mollies? Help 

Camrynsmom

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My black molly had babies last night. I've removed the momma from the tank but our family is a fairly new fish / tank owner and I'm wondering if the 2 neon tetras will try and eat the baby black molly's. Thank you!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi welcome to FishLore!!
If a fish can fit in another fish's mouth, there's a risk it can be eaten.
Sometimes if there's plenty of hiding places, babies can escape.
You might be better removing the fry instead of the mom.

Good luck!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lucy said:
If a fish can fit in another fish's mouth, there's a risk it can be eaten.
Good luck!
+1 Lucy.

Camrynsmom

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for your answer. I have live plants in the tank and it seems as though the babies are pretty smart in hiding but I did a do a little research and saw a net that you can purchase to keep the babies in the tank and protect them from other fish. I also learned she's probably going to possibly have more over the next several months...oh boy! Thanks, again!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You're welcome!
Looks like you're going to need a bigger tank for all your young'uns lol

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Camrynsmom said:
My black molly had babies last night. I've removed the momma from the tank but our family is a fairly new fish / tank owner and I'm wondering if the 2 neon tetras will try and eat the baby black molly's. Thank you!
I don't think so Neons are very small and their mouths aren't that big so you shouldn't be too worried. As long as you keep all of your fish fed, and do LOTS of water changes, then you'll be fine

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Neji said:
I don't think so Neons are very small and their mouths aren't that big so you shouldn't be too worried. As long as you keep all of your fish fed, and do LOTS of water changes, then you'll be fine
Lucy mentioned that 'If a fish can fit in another fish's mouth, there's a risk it can be eaten.' and I agree on that. So it'd be a big risk to keep the fry in the same tank with the tetras even though if they're well fed.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could a neon tetra actually fit a Molly fry in its mouth? The Molly fry I have are huge. They were the same size as my 3-week old platy fry when they were born, around 1/4".

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads