Will Media Remain Cycled If Left Out Of Water?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by april_fish, Jul 19, 2017.

1. april_fish

april_fishValued MemberMember

I switched filters for my 10g tank and I took the filter cartridge out of the water. The cartridge has been sitting out of the water for a couple weeks. Is it still able to cycle a tank? My friend is getting a betta soon and she wants her tank to cycle fast. If I give her the filter cartridge will it be able to instantly cycle her tank?

2. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06Well Known MemberMember

nop , it's completely dried at this point so all the beneficial bacteria has died off.

you can still use it but it's starting all over from scratch.

3. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

No. The media needs to remain wet, oxygenated, and fed with ammonia or the bacteria dies within 48 hours.

4. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

The bacteria would have all died if the cartridge is dry.

5. OP
    OP
    april_fish

april_fishValued MemberMember

6. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06Well Known MemberMember

TSS+ will help speed up the process or seachem stability which ever you rather use.

Pure ammonia still needs to be used if your doing a fish less cycle.

7. RyanLewisValued MemberMember

The media has to stay wet or the bacteria will die

8. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

SafeStart would cycle a tank the fastest, then pure ammonia and lastly fish food. The reason fish food would take longer than pure ammonia is that it takes awhile ofter being put in the tank for the fish food to start decomposing and produce ammonia, plus with fish food, it is nearly impossible to control the ammonia level.

Since your friend seems in a real hurry to get a fish, I would just do a fish-in cycle using Tetra SafeStart.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice