Will marbled crayfish be a staple diet for a dwarf puffer?

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by Gouramiguy17, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I want to get a dwarf puffer but my problem is food, I can't get another tank just for snails so I wanted to get a marbled crayfish and use it's babies as food. Would the crayfish have enough nutritional value if I gutloaded it before I feed the puffer? Also would the shell wear down the puffers teeth?

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I dont think the crayfish shells are hard enough to grind the puffers teeth...they need that hard calcium ...but maybe some puffer members can advise better ;)

3. jgon_

jgon_ Well Known Member Member

It may be okay for a DP since they tend to more suck the snail out of its shell rather than chomp on it. But I'm pretty unfamiliar with crayfish so I can't really say.

4. Shawnie

ahhh ok thanks john....do dp's have to have their teeth grinded then?

5. jgon_

From what I've come across, no. They seem more than happy eating soft foods like worms and snail innards. But I would definitely recommend feeding snails because it keeps the puffer active and always on the hunt. They need this, because like other puffers, they get easily bored if there's nothing to stimulate them. Plus, its a hoot to watch. :)

6. Shawnie

7. jgon_

I was going off of  .

DPs are also in a different family than GSP and F8's (Carinotetraodon sp. versus Tetraodon sp. respectively)

8. OP
    OP
    Gouramiguy17

I think hunting crayfish would keep a puffer more entertained than hunting snails

Btw that is a good link, although I think I have read it before

9. jgon_

Not sure they would hunt the crayfish. My DP happily lives with some small cherry shrimp.

10. OP
    OP
    Gouramiguy17

??? That's odd, I thought they would eat shrimp, they must be like bettas, all have different personalities

11. jgon_

You also have to remember, DPs are small. I mean, really, really small. Mine is no more larger than my thumbnail. Even the tiny shrimp she is with look large compared to her. So the DP might not attack something larger than itself, doubly so if they have claws to defend.

But again, DPs are like bettas, and some are total cocky brats that would fight anything they see. That's why they aren't recommended even for the most peaceful community tank. Some DPs might be perfectly happy with a belly full of fin nips for dinner.

12. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It would be really easy to cultivate pond snails in a little 2.5 gallon tank....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice