Will Male Mollies Fight Without Females?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ozzy, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Ozzy Valued Member Member

Since I moved my betta from my 20 gal, I've been looking for some centerpiece fish to keep. I purchased some mollies and I have one male and two females. I didn't really pay attention when getting them. I'm far more interested in keeping my males as the females seem to be a little aggressive and tear up my plants where the male looks the best and is pretty chill.

I'm also not interested in having a million little babies so I'm insentivised to take the females back. I'm just worried if I get more males that they'll end up being aggressive and attacking eachother.

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

They shouldn't fight. Having more will spread out aggression and a larger tank with lots of hiding places and plants will reduce any aggression.

Mollies need 29 gallons minimum so a 20 isn't big enough for 1

3. Ozzy Valued Member Member

Hm, So it'll probably be better to take them all back I see, do you have any suggestions for another stocking option then ? I'm looking for a small but pretty fish that can handle the flow in my tank. With my oto's in there I'm also searching for something that'd be more of a 10 gal fish so things don't get too crowded. I considered a dwarf puffer but unfortunately I don't have an lfs and the only place I can get fish is a petsmart and they don't carry DPs

Truthfully I've been thinking of just getting some more oto's and possibly getting a few kuhli loaches for variety and calling it a day. But since I live with my parents and keep my tanks in the living room my mom is like "lol you need some REAL fish "

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

What sort of fish do you like?

How about
    8 Otos
    10 Neons or CPD
    1 Bolvian ram or honey gourami
    1-3 Male platies

5. Ozzy Valued Member Member

I've been super into gouramis lately. I was actually gonna get an opaline gourami when I went in to get the mollies but I read that they're pretty aggressive and didn't want to introduce something that could harm my poor little otos ! Big mistake lol

6. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Honey gouramis are super peaceful and stay smaller than opaline gouramis

7. Ozzy Valued Member Member

Note definitely taken. I'll be returning these hellion mollies and look into finding a honey gourami! I do know that petsmart has Dwarfs too , but read that those are also really aggressive. Patience is a virtue when it comes to this hobby I e found lol

8. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Male dwarf gouramis are aggressive to other male DGs and females are rarely sold but they are usually ok with most small community fish. However if your looking for peaceful gouramis then yeah honey gouramis are the most peaceful.

9. guilz New Member Member

on my exp. when theres a age gap and/or came from other tank.