Will lowering the speed of filter change anything?

alx

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Got some new fish that like a lower flow but I am worried about the loss of GPH. Will lowering the speed of my filter have any effect on my water parameters? They are holding strong right now at 0,0,10 with my Tetra Whisper 20 gallon(130GPH).

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are a lot of factors that come into play. Aquarium size, maintenance schedule (which will increase), current stock, just to name a few. When it comes to your water you are probably going to be doing more frequent water changes

kansas

Reaction score
I have similar concerns, I'm currently cycling what will be a betta tank, and the built in filter has way too much flow.

So I have a couple of ideas to reduce the flow and will watch the water quality to figure out water changes.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes and no. Most people over filter their tanks anyway so a reduction is fine. As long as you can hold 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites your filtration is adiquit.

OP
alx

alx

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
Yes and no. Most people over filter their tanks anyway so a reduction is fine. As long as you can hold 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites your filtration is adiquit.
OK. My filter has a range of 130GPH to 10 GPH. I will start with a slight reduction in speed and see if I see any changes. Will 24 hours at new speed be long enough to see a difference(If there is one at all)?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With that low of a stocking you probably could all but shut the filter off. You will want to find a point that still has some water movement threw out the tank but not enough to bother the fish. If that makes sense.

kered

Reaction score
If you have plenty of plants in there you could get away without a filter or very little, just enough to move the water surface for gas exchange as long as you are not overfeeding, you might not see or see very little nitrates as plants will take up most of what 2 small rams will produce.

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For low flow fish like bettas I just stick a prefilter on the output.

OP
alx

alx

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
With that low of a stocking you probably could all but shut the filter off. You will want to find a point that still has some water movement threw out the tank but not enough to bother the fish. If that makes sense.
But will that mess with my nitrates if the filter is off?

kered said:
If you have plenty of plants in there you could get away without a filter or very little, just enough to move the water surface for gas exchange as long as you are not overfeeding, you might not see or see very little nitrates as plants will take up most of what 2 small rams will produce.

Ya, these guys are little. I plan to add some more stock at some point. But I guess just increase the speed when that happens?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can kind of play it by ear with your tank readings.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kered said:
Fish produce ammonia. Not nitrates. The beneficial bacteria converts the ammonia to nitrates. And with no filter...that means very little beneficial bacteria. So what happens to the ammonia produced in a filter less tank?

I know its do-able to go without a filter under the right circumstances. But risky for your average aquarium. And really shouldn't be attempted by newer hobbyists.

From what I understand...a tank needs to be very very very heavily planted to go filterless.

Personally...to be on the safe side...I suggested lowering the flow. But not turn it off completely.

OR...add a sponge filter to replace the HOB filter. But don't remove the HOB until you have allowed the new sponge filter to get seeded.

OP
alx

alx

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bizaliz3 said:
Fish produce ammonia. Not nitrates. The beneficial bacteria converts the ammonia to nitrates. And with no filter...that means very little beneficial bacteria. So what happens to the ammonia produced in a filter less tank?

I know its do-able to go without a filter under the right circumstances. But risky for your average aquarium. And really shouldn't be attempted by newer hobbyists.

From what I understand...a tank needs to be very very very heavily planted to go filterless.

Personally...to be on the safe side...I suggested lowering the flow. But not turn it off completely.

OR...add a sponge filter to replace the HOB filter. But don't remove the HOB until you have allowed the new sponge filter to get seeded.
I have seeded one sponge filter for my 10. Let it sit for a week and worked like a charm. Doing it again for a 5.5.

kered

Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:

I am not stupid, I think after over 40 years keeping fish I know fish don't produce nitrates directly but the end result is nitrates.

Any enviroment with ammonia present will produce nitrofying bacteria, all the filter is is another place for them but due to the style of media can concentrate them in a small volume, you have them on substrate, ornaments, the glass etc. but very little in the actual water as they need something to hang onto. That is why a hand full of gravel from an existing cycled tank can be used to help kickstart a new one. And water changes takes out nitrates without afecting the nitrofying bacteria count to any degree.
Not having a filter is no big deal, all it is is balance, balancing a 20 gallon with 2 small fish is not hard to do and easy with plants. Lots of people end up having to add nitrates and others (npk) to get the plants to survive as the fish do not produce enough nitrates for them to survive

In the years I have been posting on forums (for all I am new here)and helping out people with problems your post is the most Patronizing I have ever read, I hope all your other posts are not the same.
its what I would call word nitpicking.

kered

Reaction score
kered said:
Can you highlight the line where I actually wrote "fish produce nitrates" or were you just sumizing that I was refering that they did?

New Threads