Will Liquid Fertilizer Promote Algae Growth?

Ed204
HI Everyone,
I recently got my hands on some liquid fertilizer. The brand of it is WonderGro (It is locally made in Jakarta).

I am aware that both Algae and plants need the same nutrients and minerals. My question is that if I dose liquid fertilizer will it also promote Algae growth?

Feel free to check out the product brand online, I got the Macro and Mircro types.

Also, Do you think it's safe to use with Seachem Prime and Stability?
My LFS guy said it should be fine.

Dolfan CindiL TexasDomer Do you guys think that this product is alright to use?

Thanks!

dcutl002
HI Ed204, not according to Tom Barr. Tom basically says to concentrate on growing plants and the other problems will go away. Methods: algae control or growing plants? - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

Ed204
HI Ed204, not according to Tom Barr. Tom basically says to concentrate on growing plants and the other problems will go away. Methods: algae control or growing plants? - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report
HI there,
Thanks for the reply. So basically, he's saying to limit the nutrients I'm giving to my plants?

dcutl002
No, quite the contrary. Tom believes in giving the plants ample nutrients (EI dosing). Light should be the limited factor.

EDIT: a quote from Tom's thread - 'Where many go very wrong in their conclusions, is that more nutrients induce algae. This is simply not true. This only occurs when there is dependency on other parameters like CO2."

Ed204
No, quite the contrary. Tom believes in giving the plants ample nutrients (EI dosing). Light should be the limited factor.

EDIT: a quote from Tom's thread - 'Where many go very wrong in their conclusions, is that more nutrients induce algae. This is simply not true. This only occurs when there is dependency on other parameters like CO2."
Alright. Sorry, I don't get what EI means lol.

dcutl002
You have to understand that Tom gives opposing arguments and then his own. That is how he writes.

Dolfan
EI stands for estimative index, its a fert dosing strategy developed by Tom Barr. Basic concept is to make sure your plants have plenty of nutrients so they will never have a shortage, basically over fertilizing to make sure you are covered. Then you can control the growth by light and/or co2. These are the 3 main factors in plant growth (nutrients, light, and co2). You need to balance all 3 to have success.

I have an article in "member article" section at top of page about getting started with low light planted tanks. It has a lot of info that should help, including sections on fertilizing and algae.

Advertisement
smee82
If you dose any ferts without considering your lights or co2 you will definitely get algae. if your not sure about how much ferts to dose start with a little and see how your tank reacts. Then add more ir less as needed

Ed204
If you dose any ferts without considering your lights or co2 you will definitely get algae. if your not sure about how much ferts to dose start with a little and see how your tank reacts. Then add more ir less as needed
Alright, the correct amount of light is 6-8 hours a day right?

Dolfan
Ferts do not cause algae, this is proven by the EI method, where you flood the system with excessive nutrients. Algae is cause by lack of balance in tank. Light and co2 control algae much more.

Ed204 - 6-8 hours is a good start but every tank is different and you will need to adjust and fine tune based on your tank and results.

Ed204
Ferts do not cause algae, this is proven by the EI method, where you flood the system with excessive nutrients. Algae is cause by lack of balance in tank. Light and co2 control algae much more.

Ed204 - 6-8 hours is a good start but every tank is different and you will need to adjust and fine tune based on your tank and results.
Okay then. Currently, I don't have any products that are Co2 related, will that be a problem?

-Mak-
Okay then. Currently, I don't have any products that are Co2 related, will that be a problem?
Not really, but when you don't have CO2 you must have low light. Never control plant growth with CO2 and ferts, only with lights. You want plants to have unlimited CO2 and unlimited nutrients but limited light. This will prevent algae.

Ed204
Not really, but when you don't have CO2 you must have low light. Never control plant growth with CO2 and ferts, only with lights. You want plants to have unlimited CO2 and unlimited nutrients but limited light. This will prevent algae.
My light is 2 strips of LED lights (25 watts each), is that low enough?

-Mak-
My light is 2 strips of LED lights (25 watts each), is that low enough?
Watts do not matter. What matters is the color temperature and PAR. Do you have a link to the lights?

Ed204
Watts do not matter. What matters is the color temperature and PAR. Do you have a link to the lights?
Unfortunately, I don't.

dcutl002
Do you know what brand of light you have Ed204? Length?

Ed204
Advertisement
Dolfan
It's a Boyu LED light, 25mm
I thought we established your light was NOT an LED fixture, but rather a fluorescent tube. Can you post a photo of your light fixture, both the top and the underneath where the lights are.

Is this your tank?
Small Nano Aquarium Fish Tank Marine / Tropical / Coldwater 25 Ltr Boyu in Black: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

If so, that is a compact fluorescent tube and NOT an LED.

Ed204
I thought we established your light was NOT an LED fixture, but rather a fluorescent tube. Can you post a photo of your light fixture, both the top and the underneath where the lights are.

Is this your tank?
Small Nano Aquarium Fish Tank Marine / Tropical / Coldwater 25 Ltr Boyu in Black: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

If so, that is a compact fluorescent tube and NOT an LED.
On my light it clearly says "LED" and the T8 is something in Chinese.

And my light is not the one on Amazon

Attachments

• IMG_3844.JPG
    IMG_3844.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_3845.JPG
    IMG_3845.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 147
Dolfan
On my light it clearly says "LED" and the T8 is something in Chinese.

And my light is not the one on Amazon
Can you take a photo of the actual light like in the second photo, but with the light off. The first photo is hard to see anything due to reflections, but it does look like LED's there, but in 2nd photo it looks like a tube fluorescent. Is it a tube with LED's inside of it?

Also a photo of where it says "LED" and "T8" or model number would help.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter too much, it will probably ok for a low light tank and not much more. Which is ok, as you can have a lot of low light options that are easy to grow.

Ed204
Here's the photos:

Attachments

• IMG_3849.JPG
    IMG_3849.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3850.JPG
    IMG_3850.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3852.JPG
    IMG_3852.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 119
Dolfan
Ok, I can see the LED's now. Same applies, you will be good for most low light plants.

Ed204
Ok, I can see the LED's now. Same applies, you will be good for most low light plants.
Alright. Do you mind helping me to ID these plants as well? All I know is that the 1 st and 2nd ones are Java Fern and Ludwiga respectively.

Attachments

• IMG_3856.JPG
    IMG_3856.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3853.JPG
    IMG_3853.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3855.JPG
    IMG_3855.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 140
Dolfan
Looks to be a type of valisnera in #3856. Java fern in 3853, and not sure about 3855 but it does NOT look like ludwigia to me.

Ed204
Looks to be a type of valisnera in #3856. Java fern in 3853, and not sure about 3855 but it does NOT look like ludwigia to me.
Are they all low light plants?

Dolfan
Vals and Java fern are good in low light, since I'm not sure about what the 3rd plant is, i'm not sure of the light needs. It could just be really green ludwigia, perhaps grown emerged before you got it, and that's why it looks different than my ludwigia. If so, ludwigia does ok in low light. Be sure to dose a fertilizer that contains iron as that will help with the pink coloring of ludwigia.

Ed204
Vals and Java fern are good in low light, since I'm not sure about what the 3rd plant is, i'm not sure of the light needs. It could just be really green ludwigia, perhaps grown emerged before you got it, and that's why it looks different than my ludwigia. If so, ludwigia does ok in low light. Be sure to dose a fertilizer that contains iron as that will help with the pink coloring of ludwigia.
Alright, already got a complete liquid fertilizer kit! Thanks for your help!

By the way, I've noticed my Val's turning brown, are they just melting?

Dolfan
most of the leaves look fine, just trim the brown stuff, it could be melt or from planting.

Ed204
most of the leaves look fine, just trim the brown stuff, it could be melt or from planting.
Do I have to trim them or is it fine just to leave it?

Dolfan
It's best to trim them, but you don't have to.

Ed204
It's best to trim them, but you don't have to.
Alright then, thanks for you're help!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jocelyn Adelman
Replies
Views
Kathylee
Replies
Views
Jason Watkins
Replies