Will liquid CO2 harm a snail's shell?

1. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

So I bought my very first snail yesterday, a horned nerite:[​IMG]

Eee so tiny!

I have him/her in a planted 10 gallon will plenty of green algae to snack on and will be supplementing with algae wafers and the occasional raw vegetable.

I read somewhere that CO2 in the water dissolves a snail's shell over time. I dose with a liquid CO2 so will it have the same effect?

My plants don't NEED the CO2 but I'd like to continue using it if it won't hurt the snail.

Thanks in advance!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What's your pH, KH, and GH? I don't think the liquid CO2 will have the same effect, but a low pH/KH isn't good for your snail's shell.

3. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

pH usually hovers around 7.8. I don't currently have a specific test for KH and GH but I can purchase if needed.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They're helpful to have (and the API liquid tests are cheap on Amazon). But if your pH isn't fluctuating, your KH probably isn't that low. You can always add a little piece of cuttlebone to the tank if you want to be safe!

5. Brizburk Member Member

I've been using API co2 boost and my snail hasn't seemed bothered or harmed by it, it's been a couple months now. He seems fine.