Will Liquid Carbon Dioxide Reduce The Ph In My Water?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Somthingfishy01, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Somthingfishy01New MemberMember

Right now I have 8.8 ppm Ph in my freshwater guppy tank.
    I read somewhere that co2 will bring down the ph of water, is that true?

2. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

I inject CO2 in 2 of my tanks. It will drop the ph. I'm not sure about liquid CO2 but I suspect it will.

3. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

There is no such thing as liquid carbon dioxide unless you have bought some carbonic acid somewhere.

I now need to go find a marketing team. Brb.

Update:
    Marketing team says go away. They dont wanna sell seltzer to fish keepers. I cant see why though. It would only cost about 50 bucks a week!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  4. coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Liquid co2 is just a carbon source usually and or some Glutaraldehyde ..It should not lower your pH.
    Even gas CO2 only lowers the number not actually the real chemistry of water .
    CO2 does not remove any of the hardness when you drop your pH 1 point that is why it bounces back up after it is off.
    It is a gas reaction and not a water reaction ..CO2 really does not change water at all[even a little ]..

5. Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

I believe Glutaraldehyde is supplied in an acidic solution as it degrades less quickly in that form.

I am not saying this would be significant to aquarium pH.

6. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

The CO2 in tanks and CO2 cartridges is liquid.

It's not the same things as "liquid carbon" products though.

7. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Yeah but it wouldn't be a liquid by the time it got into the tank... unless you could keep the tank in a room with enough pressure. I wonder if the fish would mind... these are the important fish questions!