Will Led Lighting Increase Or Decrease Algae?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Book em Danio, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Book em Danio

Book em Danio New Member Member

I'm considering buying an LED light for my 72 gallon bow front tank. Right now, with the standard fluorescent light, algae quickly grows on the glass top and artificial plants. Will an LED lighting system increase or help decrease the algae growth?

Thanks!

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    Usually, LED lights promote the growth of plants and will restrict the growth of algae. What kind of LED light are you planning to buy?

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

LEDs can cause algae just as easily as fluorescents. It's all about light temp, time, and strength of the light.

4. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

There we go, advice from the expert :).
    Do you mind checking out my thread? Really could use your help and experience: Marks On Silver Dollars?

Thanks!

5. OP
    OP
    Book em Danio

Book em Danio New Member Member

Was looking at the Aqueon Optibright Plus. Mostly because I like the simulated sunrise and sunset option.

Pretty much what I expected. Thanks!

6. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

It is not the light (LED vs Flourescent): it is your balance. For plant growth you need Light, CO2, and fertilizer. Too much light = algae. So let your light be the limiting factor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice