Will larger koi eat my smaller koi?

gandalf1420

I currently have two 2.5 inch and one 4 inch koi in my pond, and I have two 4.5 inch, one 6 inch and one 7 inch coming in the mail in a few weeks. Will the 6 and 7 inch ones cause problems for the koi already in the pond? Also I have some feeder goldfish I bought and I realized there's a few I'd like to keep, which I know they can grow up with the small koi no issue but I was wondering if the larger ones would eat them? I don't know much about koi's eating habits beyond what they told me at the store and the golden rule of "if it fits, it'll become bits," but I don't know if feeder goldfish would fit in a 7 inch koi's mouth?

Oh and one more thing, I have a Jack Dempsey I want to take out into the pond, because it stays fairly warm here during the summer. Will he attack the little koi?

fishouttawater

you should be right if you keep them well fed but if the koi can fit the goldys in their mouth then they will if they are hungry enough.

Upvote 0

it can be done but its at a risk to the smaller koi should work as has been said by the above person feed them well

Upvote 0

YellowGuppy

Maybe start with one you don't like first... carp species put EVERYTHING in their mouths, so if you've got a couple feeders anyways, try it out for a few days and see who survives.

Upvote 0

gandalf1420

Maybe start with one you don't like first... carp species put EVERYTHING in their mouths, so if you've got a couple feeders anyways, try it out for a few days and see who survives.
That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I'll buy a few more, my pet store sells them for 15 cents a piece so it's no big deal. Great idea!

it can be done but its at a risk to the smaller koi should work as has been said by the above person feed them well
I'll definitely make sure to feed them well. Does anyone know how fast feeders grow?

Upvote 0

what type of feeder fish are we talking guppies can be used as feeder fish and they grow fast if well feed as do rossie barbs or any type of fish can be used as feeder fish it depends on what fish u want to use as feeders

Upvote 0

gandalf1420

what type of feeder fish are we talking guppies can be used as feeder fish and they grow fast if well feed as do rossie barbs or any type of fish can be used as feeder fish it depends on what fish u want to use as feeders
Feeder goldfish. Ik guppies would get eaten haha. I'm not using them as feeders I bought some and I want to know how long they'll take to grow.

Upvote 0

goldface

How large of a pond are we talking, because I would not put a Jack Dempsey in with koi. The fish got that name for a reason.

Upvote 0

gandalf1420

How large of a pond are we talking, because I would not put a Jack Dempsey in with koi. The fish got that name for a reason.
1000 gallons. 8'x6'. It's a pretty dang big pond and it's a very calm Dempsey.

Upvote 0

Malibu

Koi will eat their own eggs but not their fry.

Upvote 0

Feeder goldfish. Ik guppies would get eaten haha. I'm not using them as feeders I bought some and I want to know how long they'll take to grow.
fair enough feeder goldfish will grow fast and will do good

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JacobLindsay
  • Question
Replies
Views
BSB
  • Question