Will kuhli loaches or black neon tetras eat plants or plant roots?

BarristanTheBold

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my Community Tank, I have (among other fish) 4 Neon Tetras, 6 Glowlight Tetras (my "Gloplugs, my favorites lol) and now a pair of Black Neon Tetras (I had 3 initially, one simply disappeared one day. Vanished. No body, never appeared, nothing. I wonder if he got sucked up in the siphon-cleaning when I wasn't paying attention? Because he just disappeared off the face of the Earth in the tank.) --

Anyway- the Black Neon Tetras don't do ANYTHING. Nothing. They spend 24/7 hiding in the same large plastic plant. They don't mess with my live plants, don't mess with anything really. Just chill. Occasionally they'll take a lap with some of the other Tetras.

But I wouldn't worry about them eating your plants.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BarristanTheBold said:
In my Community Tank, I have (among other fish) 4 Neon Tetras, 6 Glowlight Tetras (my "Gloplugs, my favorites lol) and now a pair of Black Neon Tetras (I had 3 initially, one simply disappeared one day. Vanished. No body, never appeared, nothing. I wonder if he got sucked up in the siphon-cleaning when I wasn't paying attention? Because he just disappeared off the face of the Earth in the tank.) --

Anyway- the Black Neon Tetras don't do ANYTHING. Nothing. They spend 24/7 hiding in the same large plastic plant. They don't mess with my live plants, don't mess with anything really. Just chill. Occasionally they'll take a lap with some of the other Tetras.

Their behavior is probably because there are just two in the tank. I'd suggest getting at least 4 more, and 6 would be better. They're shoaling fish and need to be in larger groups than 2.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You'll be fine. I have heard of kuhlis uprooting newer plants sometimes though.
BarristanTheBold said:

I don't want to really worry you but that behavior isn't normal.

New Threads