Will Killifish Fin Nip?

Fishandchips

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My aunt recently bought me a solo killifish. The species is Scrip. Schmitti and seems to be closely related with Aphysemion. This fish seems to be very calm and peaceful. But, I woke up today and there was a large nip in the upper corner of My German blue ram’s tail.

Do you think this is the killifish’s fault? And if it is, what should I do about it?

(30 Gallon Tank)
2 Guppies
Balloon Molly
3 Otos
1 Pair Of German Blues
Solo Killi

Edit: the the killi is a female. She said the reason it’s a solo female is because the male died before she bought it.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Killies are normally peaceful, they will guard their breeding area but usually only with fish of their own species, I've kept a few different sorts & never had aggression from them in community tanks, I'd suspect the molly.

Fishaholic58

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree, they are normally peaceful, I would expect the molly. Just curious, can you post a picture of your killifish?

Fishandchips

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sure! I used to have a photo of her with her male partner before he died- he was beautiful. She’s nice too though
Excuse the camera quality!
Manalo57 said:
I agree, they are normally peaceful, I would expect the molly. Just curious, can you post a picture of your killifish?

Attachments

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It could also be from the other ram.

You have a stocking issue, if you'd like to discuss it

Fishaholic58

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fishandchips said:
Sure! I used to have a photo of her with her male partner before he died- he was beautiful. She’s nice too though
Excuse the camera quality!
She’s so cute. Are you going to buy another one or just keep her for now?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The photo is a poorly colored male, not sure of the species from that angle, but definitely not a female Scriptaphyosemion schmitti. Could have been a subdominant male.

Willed

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
It could also be from the other ram.

You have a stocking issue, if you'd like to discuss it
I want to hear your opinion, I’ll take all the blame for any critiquing...
Trying to learn more about Rams with other fish.

Fishandchips

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
chromedome52 said:
The photo is a poorly colored male, not sure of the species from that angle, but definitely not a female Scriptaphyosemion schmitti. Could have been a subdominant male.
Wow, interesting. I really can’t trust my aunt so by poorly colored, is there a way to color it up?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With the dominant male gone, he may start to develop more color. Good food will help.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Really just that the otos need cooler water than the GBR - they'll have a shorter lifespan at the high temps for the GBR.

Turbo2324

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’ve just put 4 Killi in my community and they’re are really bad for fin nipping just about all of my fish have the exact same shape and sized chunk out of their tales mine are red striped killis tho so not sure if they are more aggressive or not but it even says all over the web they are really bad with fin nipping

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom