will it be ok to ship using priority?

1. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

im shipping a blood parrot to someone on the forum and i was just wondering if it'd be ok in priority? i plan on using a large flat rate box with styrofoam insulation. what size bags should i use and should i use kordon breather bags?

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I just recently used priority mail and the recipient said all arrived in good condition and were acclimating nicely. I did not use a breather bag but did use a large bag with a smaller amount of water and lots of O2 (It was actually less water than I would have liked to have had in the bag but the LFS was nice enough to pack it for shipment for me with O2 so I wasn't going to argue)

3. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

It usually takes 2-3 days I know a lot of people that do it idk how the results are

4. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i've shipped priority a lot, im just worried about shipping something of this size.

5. snapper Well Known Member Member

When I got my goldfish, they came via FedEx 2 day. They were fine, and there wasn't even any ammonia in the bag. There were two 5-6" goldfish together in one bag, so not sure how big your parrot is. They were fasted before being shipped.

6. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

how big of a big did they use snapper? if you know.

7. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Size of the fish?

8. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

about 5 inches

9. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I would use a sealable plastic container rather than a bag, anything food safe would work.
    I have even used thermoses in the past.

10. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i have never heard of using a plastic container. would that not leak? it could also crack.

11. snapper Well Known Member Member

It was a big bag, probably 18 inches by 36 inches. About a third full of water, filled with oxygen, then sealed and put in another bag. Then that was put inside a styrofoam box, inside a cardboard box.

12. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

If packed correctly, you have less of a chance of it cracking than you do of having the fish poke a hole in a bag.

Over the years, I have sent out dozens of large fish this way.

13. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

how much was the shipping?

what kind of container would you use in a large priority box? and howd you get air in?

14. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I will get a picture of what I use up here tomorrow.
    Air is there from sealing the container.

How far is this package going?

15. snapper Well Known Member Member

$45. But it was Fed Ex not USPS.

16. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

from west tennessee to ohio

17. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

You are probably looking at 2 days then.