Will increasing TDS from fertilizers hurt my fish?

shrimpdaddy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This could be a dumb question, but I'm wondering if increasing the TDS in my tank from using fertilizers is different increasing TDS in other ways. Here my situation: I have a 15 gallon setup with an average TDS reading of about 250 (hard water in Phoenix). I added 3ml of NA Thrive fertilizer for my plants based on the instructions, and a day later I realized my TDS went up to over 650! Is this going to hurt my fish? Or is it ok because the minerals from the fertilizer are different than the minerals that come from the tap? They still seem totally happy.

On a related note, I had two little Gudgeon fry in a 3gal that I was raising for about a week. They were were eating baby brine shrimp for a few days and I thought everything was great. I added a tiny bit of fertilizer to that tank which raised the TDS by about 15. Well, one of the fry died yesterday, and the other died today :(. Not sure if it was the fertilizers, or if I'm doing something else wrong entirely. I've been doing 50% water changes every other day. It was my first clutch of fry.

MissPanda

Well Known
Reaction score
I assume it's fine, I use RO water remineralized and with ferts my TDS gets high too. No signs of stress or illness from my fish either.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Of course adding minerals will make your TDS go up. No it won’t hurt your fish as long as you dose properly.

New Threads