Will I Overstock My Tank

HayleyMartin

Hello,
New fish keeper here who pops up now and again with questions. Today I'm wondering about the future on my tank and if my plan will overstock it.

Tank:
112gallons (dimension 60"L, 18"W, 24"H)
Substrate: Gravel
Decorations: Rocks, wood and fake plants
Current fish:
X3 Dwarf Gourami
X2 Guppy
X8 Corydoras (4albino, 4panda)
X1 Clown Pleco

Quarantine Tank current fish:
X8 Guppy

What I plan to add:
X16 Neon Tetra
X12 Rummy Nose Tetra
X2 Farlowella Catfish

Will this be too many fish for my tank? Thank you for reading and I appreciate any advice or opinions.

!poogs!

Space-wise no.

But what kind of filtration?

Upvote 0

HayleyMartin

Space-wise no.

But what kind of filtration?

That's great to know thank you. I have 2 hang on the back filters, one was for a backup but it runs all the time

Upvote 0

MacZ

What are your water parameters?
The tetras like low pH and hardness (as do all of your fish besides the guppies.).
I'd rather go for 20 rummynose and scratch the neons. The length allows for a nice big school of them.
You can then stock up on cories, too, because 5 per species is a bit of a low number.

As you stock up you might want to consider switching to life plants. That would help compensate the bigger bioload additionally to the filters.

Upvote 0

HayleyMartin

What are your water parameters?
The tetras like low pH and hardness (as do all of your fish besides the guppies.).
I'd rather go for 20 rummynose and scratch the neons. The length allows for a nice big school of them.
You can then stock up on cories, too, because 5 per species is a bit of a low number.

As you stock up you might want to consider switching to life plants. That would help compensate the bigger bioload additionally to the filters.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have to have neons, they remind me of my mom. I'd cut the rummy nose before them, but I'd ideally like to have some of both because the rummynose really caught me eye. I'll look into adding one or two more Cory's, I'm just worried about them not having enough forage because of the rocks and wood in the tank taking up their real-estate.

I've been looking into live plants but don't feel experienced enough to change my current tank just yet. It's only had fish in it for a week so far. It's something I want to try but not yet. My tank has an overflow section because it originally had a sump, if my hang on the back filter doesn't cut it I'll switch to a canister filter. I got the hang on the back filter because I like the sound it makes and was assured when I bought it, it was good enough for my tank and the future stock levels I planned to have. But we'll see, I'm prepared if not.

As for PH, my PH is really high, it's in the range of 8.0 out of the tap. Because of that I've only bought fish (and will be buying fish) from a particular store in my area, they get all their freshwater fish from the same breeder who also lives in my area, they all have the same PH as I do and none of them change it. I have PH down and researched ways to try and reduce my levels naturally but the staff at the fishstore told me my fish would be fine and I was better not messing with my PH since the fish are incredibly sensitive to it changing.

Upvote 0

FishGirl115

I think you are fine but definitely add 2-6 more corys of both species

Upvote 0

HayleyMartin

I think you are fine but definitely add 2-6 more corys of both species

Thank you, I'll definitely look at getting a few more of each cory, I thought the 8 of them would be fine, so I'm glad to have this place to ask much more experienced people. Once my quarantine tank if free I'll get them.

Upvote 0

FishGirl115

Thank you, I'll definitely look at getting a few more of each cory, I thought the 8 of them would be fine, so I'm glad to have this place to ask much more experienced people. Once my quarantine tank if free I'll get them.
8 of one species would be great. But two species don't school together. You should have at least 6 of each kind for a proper school.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ellebrius
Replies
Views
FishDin
  • Question
Replies
Views
StellarLuna